Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What have you done with, or on your aircraft, this week-end? (1-2 July 2023)

Window cleaning today: I washed the plane a few weeks ago but the Perspex had dried streaky, which needed some attention.

Then a local flight to do some DME arcs: I’ve never flown one before so wanted to have a go. Nothing to compare to so I don’t know if they are any good. 12, 10, 8, and 6 nm:

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Together with my brother and my mother, I spend a weekend at Venice. It was a 80th anniversary gift for her.
LIPV

Last Pic is Augsburg EDMA

EDDS , Germany

@BOD the plans are with someone at the club at the moment and I’ll see if I can get a copy.
From memory you need 2 antennae, one for the radio and another one for the ADSB..They are different designs and will make them ourselves with some old copper and bits of metal and some plastic drainpipe. We need 2 USB clés (The translation of that is keys but I don’t remember ever hearing the expression USB keys in UK products .)
You then need several adaptors and connectors all of which be bought at shops which sell computer and video stuff.
Finally as well as a computer or tablet you will need to download some software. There are several choices, the one we are likely going for is German because it is free.
FFPLUM published the plans in 2 parts and I will try an PM them to you as they are in French and not easy to translate even by Google.

France

As indicated in another thread, I flew to Basel to drop a friend off. the previous week, the other part-owner and I had flown down to Bern to “have a look at the bears” – well, at least I had a reason, I wasn’t simply “drilling holes in the sky”, converting money to noise

On the way down, I flew relatively low – between 2200 and 3000 feet – to allow her to look at the scenery below, flying through Düsseldorf & Köln/Bonn CTRs, allowing a good view of Koblenz etc, however it was rather bumpy. Arriving in Basel, I was hearing winds 250/16G25 and decided that although the runway at Basel is wide enough at 60m why risk it when they have a runway oriented into the wind. ATIS reported Runway in use was 15 but 25 also available, so requested 25 and landed without issue.

On the way back, I decided to climb up higher, even though this meant facing stronger head / cross winds – started at FL 085 and once past Hahn, I asked Langen to co-ordinate a transit of Köln / Bonn & Düsseldorf Charlie airspace at my current altitude. This was finally approved at FL090.

What I didn’t bank on was the fact that although Düsseldorf ATIS was reporting “few clouds at 4600 feet”, there appeared to be a solid layer over Düsseldorf and I had prepared myself for a flight beyond my home base in the hope of finding a hole in the cloud layer to descend when suddenly, to my right, I saw a massive hole and requested clearance to turn right & descend through the hole.

I was even more fortunate that, at that time, there appeared to be a lull in traffic descending on the ILS of runway 23 so I was cleared to descend, dropped down right across the approach path of 23L, out of controlled airspace and headed home, ready to land at my home base, the wind now blowing a constant 18 knots – but fortunately practically straight down the runway.

I am continuously amazed by the performance of the aircraft with a true airspeed of just shy of 120 Knots, unfortunately a strong headwind was a fly in the ointment – why does sod’s law always give you stronger headwinds than tailwinds? However, performance isn’t just speed, it’s also about fuel consumption. And flying at 120 Knots TAS burning 14litres an hour of Super plus is not to be sniffed at – beats most cars I know….

EDL*, Germany

well @Steve6443, that looks like an elegant and efficient ship to me

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message