Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What have you done with, or on your aircraft, this week-end? (8-9 July 2023)

Decided a couple of months ago to take part in the Khumo Fly In – Experimental-kesäpäivä, Finland…
3 of us, riding our pesky RVs, 2x -4 and 1x -6.9i, departed Thursday to overfly Germany, then overnight in Sweden, or Finland (fantastic Kumlinge), before continuing to destination yesterday Friday, thru some VFR for adults weather.

Very nice gravel runway quite close to the city itself. And a fantastic welcome on the field by enthusiastic association president Timo, thanks to all! Even more enthusiastic are the somehow expected hordes of mosquitoes…
Unfortunately low ceilings today, so we’ll see if more homebuild airplanes make it.

About to turn finals 12

A couple of uncertifieds, no nonchalant flaps position… for the moment

Last Edited by Dan at 08 Jul 06:14
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Looking forward to more photos, Dan! Enjoy!

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Khumo as seen during the approach yesterday.
The municipality has a population of 7,739 and covers an area of 5,456.78 km2, of which 649.97 km2 is water. The population density is 1.61 inhabitants per square kilometre…
The city has a pretty interesting history, but is situated a bit close to the border (and the ADIZ) for my taste

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Great idea to have these threads

Went to Le Touquet with Justine for my birthday The original plan was Alderney overnight and we had a place booked (my tent is a bit tight for two) but today’s forecast is not good, and it wasn’t possible to convert it into a day trip because of the mad 12hr PN imposed by the UK Terrorism Act (yes you’ve read that right ) also known as a job preservation scheme for the police.

I hadn’t been there for a couple of months. It was nice as ever, 2hr GAR here, zero PN over there (24/7 police).

Dead easy flight. You can change direct from Shoreham to Le T tower although I normally file IFR and then I call up Lille who ask if you are VFR or IFR

Most of the planes were not F-reg. Quite a few G-regs, and various others

The whole town seems to be built on sand. Here they are digging a mountain of it out for a house. I don’t know if they dig down to rock, or just level it and make a concrete raft

+30C and the beach was packed. This was about the only pic I could get without a crowd

The location is definitely for wealthy Parisians. I’d say 50% are holiday homes, including huge houses. Amazingly bad insulation too, for an apartment block

It’s a great location for many reasons. There are many others in France but they’ve always needed police for Brits and about 10 years ago and onwards most of France has gone on a long PN – 24/48hr – so inaccessible at short notice. The UK has gone slightly easier; the GAR form PN is 2hr before each of the two departures.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A very short but fun flight with Frans today, from Heppenheim (home town of Sebastian Vettel, by the way) to Bad Dürkheim. The latter has a swimming pond right next to the runnway, which was a must, at 37 degrees OAT…

Aircraft was a Swiss-made Lightwing AC4.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Finland is definitely a great place for my kind of GA, most aspects US like. See a runway, land. No PPR, no landing fee, no Flugleiter, no nothing. And no fuel.

Best thing is to get your Dino juice at the nearest gas station, don’t forget your fuel bags or canisters

Typical landscape

And on the way back, Borglanga, Sweden

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

I got as far as looking at notams: ‘AD closed due motor racing event’ 🧐

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

boscomantico wrote:

A very short but fun flight with Frans today, from Heppenheim (home town of Sebastian Vettel, by the way) to Bad Dürkheim. The latter has a swimming pond right next to the runnway, which was a must, at 37 degrees OAT…
Yes, that was indeed a nice meetup.

In extension to that, I came from Buochs, via Birrfeld, Mainbullau to Heppenheim, and flew Sunday afternoon back via Fricktal.

Quick customs stop in Birrfeld, while it was still a bit rainy

Shortly after my arrival in Mainbullau

Enroute from Heppenheim over the “Black Forest” towards Fricktal

Quick customs stop in Fricktal

Shortly before overhead Buochs
Last Edited by Frans at 11 Jul 20:01
Switzerland

A bit late to the party but I took my grandmother on a local tour. There were some showers around but otherwise smooth clear air, which made for some nice colours. A low and slow plane is so much fun for this type of flying.

At Goodwood I saw a fun combination of registrations…

And finally a ride in a Gazelle to maintenance.

Last Edited by IO390 at 12 Jul 08:37
United Kingdom

Flew to a family reunion in France.

Down friday ESFA-EDVK-LFQW.
Through the layer over Southern Sweden. 25 knots in the nose :-(

Chased a cloud bird to Kassel

Bumpy and convection over NE France

For the return I had to wait out the front that crossed Europe on sunday.
Monday LFQW-EDDE. 35 knots straight in the tail :-)

Overnight stop in Erfurt. The old town is so beautiful. EuroGA Fly In candidate in my book.

Final leg on tuesday morning EDDE-ESMK. This kind of weather requires to file IFR.

Last Edited by Arne at 12 Jul 09:37
ESMK, Sweden
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message