Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Requirement for start clearance

I looked at some older threads about start clearances but didn’t see a clear answer on where it should be published if a start clearance is required.

In my experience, if you are inside the ATC service boundary it is expected but if your parking is outside your first contact is for a departure/taxi clearance (or met report if not ATIS).

So should it be in the AIP AD / ENR? or somewhere else?

Sweden

I think the request for “engine start-up” is mixed with request for “IFR start-up”, the former is fuel & noise saving (maybe applicable for heavy stuff due to environmental constraintes, even under VFR FPL), the latter goes into flow management systems (it’s mandatory for all aircraft on IFR FPL)

Last Edited by Ibra at 03 Feb 11:43
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Cttime, you are essentially right. It‘s a mess in Europe. It‘s not really published in general terms.

What I do is what I know from 25 years of experience.

First of all, I guess you are talking about VFR flights, as for IFR I guess everybody requests a startup clearance. By the way, the startup cleranance specific to IFR flights is more more a thing for the benefit of the pilot, and not so much of ATC. After all, there can always be an impromptu ATC slot, which precludes a timely departure, and if you did not request startup, then started up and thren found out there is a long slot delay, you just wasted an engine start. Historically, this procedure was useful, as pilots did not have flow management messages in the cockpit in real time. Nowadays, with autorouter etc., the pilot does, so the risk of starting up with a missed slot delay is minimal.

So let‘s talk VFR. What I do is this: in countries where I know that ATC does not care at all about startup clearances for VFR (this is most of Central Europe, incl. Germany, France, Italy etc.) I just start and then call ATC for taxi/clearance when ready. This is fine for ATC.

Generally, in the east of Europe, where ATC tends to be a bit more officious, and not so accustomed to VFR traffic,
I just do ask for startup beforehand. Doesn‘t cost me much to do it, and seems to please them.

Whenever uncertain, then I do request startup. Very very rarely have I been bollocked for making an unnecessary startup request.

But yes, in some cases, you will find a startup requirement in the AD-specific part of the AIP. Sometimes even at uncontrolled airfields (often where there is a lot of paradropping). So always read that carefully. In the
UK, every airport can write what it wants in the AIP. Take Lands End for example.

Also, consider that there might just have been an incident before you start up and the airport or runway just got closed. Rare, but happens. Just had that at Egelsbach a couple of weeks ago. So from a pilot‘s point of view, it always makes sense to do it, but again, in many places, ATC/AFIS does NOT want everybody to ask for startup before doing so.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 03 Feb 13:01
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Take Lands End for example.

You also need to request “taxi instruction” to walk from aircraft to maintenance facility

I understood they went tight on hi-vis, startup and ground stuff after one passenger lost a piece of his body against Twin Otter

Lot of HIAL airports in Highlands have similar policies regarding ground and engine operations

Last Edited by Ibra at 03 Feb 14:17
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

As mentioned above the AIP often includes this info. Here is an example from Copenhagen Kastrup EKCH AIP Text section “Local Traffic Regulations”:
“Start & Push-back/Taxi Clearance
Pilots must report/be ready for start & push-back/taxi at TOBT +/- 5 minutes to
KASTRUP APRON on FREQ 121.900, All Aprons.
ATC will approve start & push-back/taxi or advise the pilots of the current TSAT.
Aircraft leaving the stand by own power shall obtain taxi instruction only, except
in deicing situations, where the aircraft shall obtain start up approval as well,
see item 6.6 – Deicing of Aircraft. Permission to push-back or taxi-out from a
stand or position must not be requested unless the tractor/aircraft is ready to
perform the manoeuvre immediately.
Await activation of squawk until push-back or taxi clearance has been obtained.
6.4.2 Jet aircraft
On nose-in/push-back stands, jet engine start-up must take place only after
permission has been obtained from the ground personnel, unless APU is unserviceable or the aircraft is not fitted with APU.
6.4.3 Propeller aircraft
Start up of multi-engine propeller aeroplane must always be executed in such
a way that the noise around the aeroplane is reduced as much as possible.
a. On nose-in/push-back stands, one engine only must be started on the
stand. Start up of the remaining engines shall wait until after push-back.
b. On turn-in/turn-out stands, it is requested to start one engine only on the
stand.”

EKRK, Denmark

boscomantico wrote:

in many places, ATC/AFIS does NOT want everybody to ask for startup before doing so.

According to SERA, startup permission does not apply at AFIS airports. (The phraseology list in the AMC to SERA.14001 states that the startup phraseology is used only with ATC, not AFIS.)

Btw, it is not a “clearance”, it is a “permission”.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Of course. I was just saying that one shouldn’t – just because there might theoretically be an impromptu issue with the runway or so – request a startup by default at all airfields where there is someone to talk to.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

As stated above.

1. Check the AIP
2. If 1, doesn’t mention it then ask a local.
3A. If you can’t find a local, if it’s an airport controlled by ATC, then ask for a clearance to start up.
3B. If you can’t fine a local, If it’s not an airport controlled by ATC (eg radio or AFIS) then assume not required.

You can still get grumpy people but just ignore them :) A few years ago, I was at an AFIS airport. It’s an airport that sometimes has ATC and sometimes AFIS. I started without a clearance during a period notified by NOTAM as AFIS (nothing mentioned in the AIP about needing a startup clearance). I was told by AFIS after starting “You’re supposed to ask for startup here”. I just asked them to confirm that they AFIS, and that was the end of that

EIWT Weston, Ireland

My checklist would be:
1. Check the AIP/airfield website, if not there, then
2. Listen to ATIS, if nothing there either, then:
for Piston a/c – just start, for Turbine – call on frequency.
Have I made too many assumptions here?

EGTR

One can ask for start-up, clearance (IFR or VFR) or taxi. Commercial flights often ask for “start and clearance”, which is the first two, but it’s usually not “start-up clearance” as in clearance to start-up. I would not use the word clearance if asking for start-up, because the controller may think I want to write down the flight clearance. A plane with an APU will often get clearance before asking for start-up because they’re not battery constrained and their engines don’t need to warm up for a long time.

If you’re not sure if you should ask for start-up, it’s best to ask. The worst that can happen is someone telling you “start-up at your own discretion”. You’ll know it next time there.

LPFR, Poland
51 Posts
Sign in to add your message