Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Charity flight organisations (sheep patrol etc)

I simply felt that being in my late 70s represented an increased risk – not one which I should inflict on kids who already have enough to deal with.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I would think if you can still fly you could do this. What about your age makes a difference?

EHRD, Netherlands

Have fun – they were the most rewarding flights I ever did – old age is the only thing that made me stop

Peter_Mundy wrote:

@dutch_flyer – have you considered Stichting Hoogvliegers

Thanks so much for this suggestion. I just signed up!

EHRD, Netherlands

@dutch_flyer – have you considered Stichting Hoogvliegers

dutch_flyer wrote:

I’m interested in the possibility of flying for charity, such as … organ transport,

My immediate reaction is that it’s not appropriate for amateurs to do such critical flights. Even when flown by professionals they have quite high fatality rates due to get-there-itis.

Airborne_Again wrote:

The Royal Swedish Aeroclub also operate forest fire patrols through the local aeroclubs and it has the same “non-competition” condition. It, however, have appealed that condition to the administrative courts. The verdict is expected later this autumn.

How did this end?

Last Edited by ErlendV at 26 Sep 16:57
FI, ATPL TKI and aviation writer
ENKJ, ENRK, Norway

Lionel, there are quite a few such organisations in Europe, see a discussion here.

[threads merged]

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I always thought that it more or less didn’t exist in Europe because our OPS rules don’t have the same “for charity exception to application commercial flight rules” that the FAA rules have.

Do you know how “Angel Flights Europe” work? What part of the operational costs do they pay/reimburse to the pilot? Do you have any clue how many flights they have actually made?

• Their website seems pretty minimal on actual information, and their “more / blog” section is some template stuff…
  • I can’t find an actual name of any actual person, be it a natural person or a legal person, on the website.
  • They say they are in Brussels, that donations above 5 EUR are tax-deductible, but
    • there is no Belgian legal person whose name contains “Angel Flight”
    • there is no organisation whose name contains “flight” in the official list by the Belgian tax office of organisations to whom donations are tax-deductibke.
  • The website domain is registered to an individual, since 2017; the .eu “privacy rules” mean we don’t know who.

This has several red flags for being a scam…

Last Edited by lionel at 26 Sep 11:41
ELLX

I’m interested in the possibility of flying for charity, such as Angel Flight, organ transport, SAR, Make-a-Wish, etc. These are all popular activities in the US, but I’m not sure what if any is common in Europe. I found the EU Angel Flight website and requested access, but curious if anyone else has experience with this.

EHRD, Netherlands
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message