Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Long cross-country flights in a glider

I think real cross-country flights in gliders are cool. This guy does a lot of these and here is his vlog about a recent big summer trip across Europe. Stay tuned on his channel for more.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Agree. Not only cool, but also real achievements.

This 1500km on June 9th from the southern Alps to the Pyrenees to the northern Alps and back deserves to be mentioned: weglide link
Part of the skill is recognizing an occurrence of exceptional conditions. And then, obviously, exploiting them. Truly remarkable.

The same guy also flew from France to Corsica, then Italy and back. I particularly like the idea of a sea crossing in a glider. What a feat – must be unnerving. (At least, you’re not running the risk of an engine out :D )

Last Edited by etn at 22 Jul 08:56
etn
EDQN, Germany

Bit of thread drift here but on a tour of New Zealand by 152 a few years back I landed one evening at Masterton, in the North Island, after crossing the Cook Strait. I taxied to the flying club and was helped to tie down by the somewhat elderly CFI, who then kindly drove me to the hotel. This turned out to be Doug Yarrall, sometime NZ glider champion who, in the 1960’s, flew a glider to 37,000’ out of Masterton. Subsequently he trained Steve Fossett for his altitude attempt.

The very idea of being chauffered to a hotel in an ancient pick up truck driven by such an extraordinary person still thrills me to this day. The joy of flying!

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Looks like fun, I’ll watch his subsequent videos when possible.

I’ve been to his origin airport at Donauworth for a fly-in, five years ago. Nice glider, nice tow plane too

Last Edited by Silvaire at 23 Jul 03:39

Really nice. Constant workload. Must also get pretty hot under that canopy. Do gliders talk to Langen Info at all during x-country flights?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I also like the way he is visualizing the track using ayvri.com – didn’t know about this service, might give it a try for my current video. I just uploaded a few recent track logs and it’s very beautifully visualized in an instant. A bit of a shame that the site doesn’t provide a “worthwhile” Pro option where you can export video… Also, “Flying” is not one of the mandatory activity classifications that the developers anticipated. I had to put “gliding”.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message