Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Abolition of customs airfield requirement for Germany?

I’m pretty sure customs are also informed by flight plans, at least in Germany and Switzerland. This entire additional PNR/PPR thing is IMHO a bad joke to make things more bureaucratic. I remember that customs showed up a few times in EDKM, which offers normally no customs at all, upon arrival flights from the Netherlands. And upon arrival from this man, customs were also on-site in Mainz, even though he didn’t do the customs PNR, which is required for Mainz. He ended up getting fined for VAT tax import, upon arrival from Norway, just because this US/Hungarian man wasn’t aware of the PNR requirement when coming from Norway.

Also a while ago, I read on Facebook about a story of a group of Dutch pilots, who flew to Grenchen airport without customs PNR, and got fined 500 CHF per person. They were met with the officials upon arrival as well. Their only source must have been the flight plan.

Steve6443 wrote:

when was that? This is what I received yesterday.
My quote was from the 25th of January this year. I’m amazed about that pricelist you’ve got, as someone told me they got that 120 CHF quote in April as well. Did they tell you what parking at the GAC would cost now?
Last Edited by Frans at 28 Jun 10:46
Switzerland

Frans wrote:

My quote was from the 25th of January this year. I’m amazed about that pricelist you’ve got, as someone told me they got that 120 CHF quote in April as well. Did they tell you what parking at the GAC would cost now?

No, they didn’t and as I would only be dropping someone off, I wasn’t that concerned. As it is, it looks like I will be flying to Habsheim – no hassle with customs, infinitely cheaper; just means the person I’m dropping off needs to get a train to Basel – but that’s ok because I can treat them to a taxi to the station and pay for the train ticket….

EDL*, Germany

Frans wrote:

Hi Frans, here’s the bottom part of the quote……

EDL*, Germany

@Frans wrote: I’m pretty sure customs are also informed by flight plans, at least in Germany and Switzerland.
Maybe, sometimes.But how would that work?
The addresses to which you send or eurocontrol sends your flight plan does not include the customs at destination AFAIK. So then customs would have to get that FPL from whom?
It would have to be via a 3rd.party. An airfield such as LFFK does not AFAIK receive flight plans and if they did there is no one to open it. So the earliest customs could be informed of your arrival would be when you phone to close your flight plan. Also AFAIK even going to an airport where there is an ATS, they only open your Flight Plan just before your arrival or on handover from the previous ATS, so that they are aware of your intentions. It would still be late in the day to pass on such information to customs.
I have no doubt, without being a conspiracy theorist🙂 that there is or are groups of customs intelligence units who spend their time sifting through all sorts of info such as from police, interpol, international customs forces, and perhaps even Flight Aware and FR24 looking for something suspicious..But,somehow I can’t see them wanting every flight plan.

France

gallois wrote:

The addresses to which you send or eurocontrol sends your flight plan does not include the customs at destination AFAIK. So then customs would have to get that FPL from whom?

You can be sure AFTM is tapped by various government agencies. Certainly the military and probably also customs.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

You can be sure AFTM is tapped by various government agencies. Certainly the military and probably also customs.

You can be sure these guys ingest this data: https://www.palantir.com/

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

eurogaguest1980 wrote:

You can be sure these guys ingest this data

I’m sure those guys don’t, but their clients will. AFAIU Palantir sells software.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 29 Jun 11:42
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Marcel wrote:

Read the NOTAMS carefully. Currently they have mandatory handling for non-based aircraft, and they renew that on a regular basis.
As an alternative I would look at LFGB Habsheim. I would guess you can run cloud-breaking with Basel if needed and then turn to Habsheim.
Currently an Uber would cost around 50chf to get from the airfield to Basel SBB main station…

Just for info, I asked GAC whether, after requesting PPR from them, whether I still needed to request PPR from Basel; after waiting for more than a day and no response, I rang up the number indicated and was told that as I was only stopping to drop someone off, having a bathroom break and returning, I didn’t need handling.

I also sent them all my details, they will send me the invoice at the end of the month. Instead of parking on G7 – G20, I was told I can expect to park on parking 40 – 48, so south of the customs limit of GAC and can then decide which side to leave, French or Swiss, all without handling.

EDL*, Germany

@ArcticChiller IIUIC Art 141 is one of many Articles which have been put into a Union Customs Code Delegated Act.
IOW the customs administrations of each country are responsible for their administration whilst there is a transition across the Union to a single harmonised customs IT system (Import control SYS2).are deployed by 2025.
Art 141 and Art143a added to provide a new data set for the declaration of certain low value consignments from 1st Jan.2021.
Much of the delgated authority revolves round postal services nothing AFAICT about GA.
The only regs I can currently find which touch on other subjects in this thread are;-
The Customs Code was amended by regulation (EU) 2019/474 when a new Article 260a was added to allow relief from import duties on goods repaired or altered in the context of international agreement.
This amendment also includes a provision that brought the Italian enclave of Campione d’Italia into the EU customs territory.
There is a mention of Switzerland in this context as it currently has a local VAT regime which corresponds to that of the Swiss and that will not be changed to maitain a level playing field.
The commission delegated regulation applicable from 31st.July 2018 introduved some flexibilities in customs formalities in the case of transactions between a Special Fiscal Territory and its mainland making it possible for EU residents to import cars rented outside the EU for short periods such as holidays without paying import duties.
IMHO in the absence of absolute clarification I would not be flying to or from Switzerland to or from and EU country without passing through a Union/Customs Airport and that usually means PN.

France

IMHO in the absence of absolute clarification I would not be flying to or from Switzerland to or from and EU country without passing through a Union/Customs Airport and that usually means PN.

Well of course not (except in Germany, where it HAS been clarified). And that is what some Swiss pilots are trying to achieve from France, Italy, etc.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message