Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Annual touring week

In three weeks (July 12th) we are departing Sweden with 3 aircraft for a weeks flying. Our plan at the moment is to visit Jersey → La Rochelle → Shoreham → Sweden.

For Jersey, it doesn’t seem like we need to file the (evil) GAR report. I’ll phone the aero club there, but except for a flightplan are there any other forms that must be filled in prior to our arrival? Customs? It’s been 10 years since I visited last and all I remember was the wonderful pints we had on the balcony at the aero club after our arrival (I’ll read up on the cicz.co.uk website as well.)

For La Rochelle, it will be our first visit there. Every bit of information regarding “best practice”, what to do, where to (not) eat is most welcome.

And then we are planning to continue toward Shoreham. We haven’t decided on where to stay yet, but Brighton is close by so it might be the better choice? As I mentioned in another thread, we might head up to Farnborough but it isn’t decided yet. Any other recommendations? As for the flight, I’m well aware of the GAR report of course, but is anything else needed?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Last Edited by martin-esmi at 22 Jun 19:33

Jersey: you do need a GAR (they actually call it a GENDEC there) which is for customs purposes; the difference is that you don’t need to send it in advance. You simply hand it in after attival (with a handwritten signature). No PPR required. Be careful, the grass parking is a bit rough. Otherwise, a fantastic place. ATC-wise, the Channel Islands have now become much more straightforward with the abolition of the low-level class A.

What you do need is a customs aerodrome when setting off for Jersey.

La Rochelle: ATC is great. Parking for SEPs is on the grass (if you want to park on the hard, you need PPR and mandatory handling), but the grass is OK in summer. The way out from the airfield is via a turnstyle gate; take good note of the code displayed upon leaving. You will need it later in order get back in. La Rochelle is great, despite it being very touristy. All restaurants along Cours des Dames (in the harbour) are quite good.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 22 Jun 19:52
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thanks Bosco, sounds good! I’m looking at Niederrhein (EDLV) to do a fuel/food/exit-schengen stop.

Last Edited by martin-esmi at 22 Jun 20:01

For La Rochelle, look up the fuel station operating times. Its closed for an hour or two over lunch, which might hinder you if you plan to get fuel just before departing, and it’s lunchtime. Sorry I dont have any advice for outside of the airport as I only went as far as the front door, but people here did a fly-in a year ago and there will probably be some writeups with pictures of quality food. It might be one of Peter’s trip reports as I recall a comparison between the food at La Rochelle compared to a Brighton High Stree Cafe or something like that :-)

In La Rochelle, if you like Asian food, Iséo had a nice blend of Asian and French cuisine. Fantastic. Make sure to drink plenty of water though.

LFPT, LFPN
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message