Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Newbie learning to use a weather radar

EBST

boscomantico wrote:

You‘ll want to learn more about tilt than this guy here…

I see what you mean

Cessna Silver Eagle C10T owner / pilot
LFPN, France

Here’s some weather and radar picture I shot last week. We avoided Learjet-style :-)

As for tilt adjustment, I was anxious about it in the beginning. Now I simply tilt until some terrain displays and then a degree or two up.

LPFR, Poland

That video of the DA42 going into Frankfurt is a bit scary, he was definitely in get-there-itis mode. Interesting to see some controllers comment on Youtube to correct his phraseology and video notes. But the tilt was really the bad part, he was flying blind and was lucky.

I agree with Loco, at least in the cruise, it’s actually not very complicated, and if you have vertical profile view it’s very easy to see what’s ground (symmetrical returns) or weather (asymmetrical vertical bulge upward). On departure I start at +15 and remove 1 degree per 2k feet, roughly, until I get to about +5. In the descent and in the approach environment, I’m still not very comfortable. I’ve tried setting +10 to make sure I don’t underscan, but I still find myself going to vertical profile very often to confirm.

The reality is once you’ve seen enough of them, you don’t mistake a cell for ground returns (or the opposite as he does on the video), but you still need to be careful that your beam doesn’t miss the liquid precipitation – which means, as Achim sometimes points out, you should aim your beam to an altitude comfortably below the -15 degrees C level.

To go back to iz-trips’ question, here’s a cheat sheet for 10" antennas which I find very clear and useful

Radar_Pod_Usage_Guide_pdf

Last Edited by denopa at 08 Jul 13:44
EGTF, LFTF

denopa wrote:

To go back to iz-trips’ question, here’s a cheat sheet for 10" antennas which I find very clear and useful

Thank you, very useful indeed!

LFPN, France

loco wrote:

Here’s some weather and radar picture I shot last week. We avoided Learjet-style :-)

Impressive video. I am surprised so little is shown on the radar vs all the lighting you can see outside ?

LFPN, France
36 Posts
Sign in to add your message