Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Hold short of runway

Forget about those “Helicopter Runways”, there is “07/25” written on the tarmac taxiway D

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Redhill is just confusing. I don’t understand this business with the “unlicenced runway” that’s a fake taxiway. Surely a runway either is a runway or not. If it is, it should be marked on the chart as such.

EDDW, Germany

Redhill had specific planning issues. The council was trying to bust them for that change from taxiway to runway. @I_Love_Flying may know the latest.

Very funny about that old forum. Most people left years ago. But things can come back to haunt you after many years

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Landed on that “taxiway” in 2002 because other runways were under water. Redhill staff were just brilliant.

UK, United Kingdom

Interesting, I’ve never really thought about it.

If one was to land across the runway and heading towards the holding point stopping just short, being that you are on the runway presumably you’ve committed no foul.

Alpha_Floor wrote:

I don’t understand this business with the “unlicenced runway” that’s a fake taxiway.

The distinction did matter a lot in the old days as ATO PPL training was done in licensed runways with ATZ but you could train for NPPL without that, CAA now allow PPL training in unlicensed runways & airports without ATZ, it’s the reason why few airports did let down ATZ & runway license but some still have “Circle+T” on CAA map, still the local school/pilot and AG/AFIS may act like they have an ATZ (no visitors allowed when we are busy with training )

In the other hand, you can still do IMCr & Night in unlicensed runways (training in grass strip in proper night & weather conditions ) but I understand you can’t do IR/CPL training without having an ATZ & licensed runway with AG/AFIS/ATC, at least what I was told few years ago…

Last Edited by Ibra at 28 Apr 18:43

Ibra wrote:

I am on near H, taxiway D to my left, taxiway E to my right, where I should stop if ATC tells me “taxi and hold short of Runway 07? hold short of Runway 25”? D3, D2, D1, C1, B2, B1, A1, A2, H2, E1, E2

If that’s all ATC says and there are no special local procedures, then they’ve given you an incorrect taxi clearance and I would question it. On the way to 07, you’d encounter a mandatory sign either at D3 or at H2 which you’re not allowed to cross without explicit clearance.

If ATC had said e.g. “taxi and hold short of Runway 07, cross D3”, then I would taxi to D2 and hold there.

But really, the best instruction would have been “taxi to holding point D2 [for runway 07] via D, cross D3”. Unambiguous.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 28 Apr 18:52
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

ATC use “taxi to holding point D2” or “taxi to holding point D3” depending on their mood, there is no mandatory “25/07 sign”, so really no one knows where that funny runway starts and will be tricky to “hold short of runway” (although if you get an early takeoff clearance you have extra ground roll)

Last Edited by Ibra at 28 Apr 19:03

Ibra wrote:

there is no mandatory “25/07 sign”

According to your map and AIP-UK, D2 and D3 are mandatory signs. (White text on red background.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Yes but it does not say the boundary between runway & taxiway, A1 hold = Rwy 26R & A2 hold = Rwy 26L, if I get “hold short of runway 26L”, I know where I should stop

Last Edited by Ibra at 28 Apr 20:42
Sign in to add your message