Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Skylane avoids accident with F16 on runway

The interesting bit starts when he switches frequency to the tower:

ESME, ESMS

Juicy bit starts at around 8:00

I think I could see him physically getting angry at the controller when the tower nonchalantly tells him to do a 180 and exit… then his passenger promptly goes back to sleep.

You are expected to exit at the first available taxiway after slowing, but he wasn’t given a LAHSO clearance so the controller should have protected the whole runway.

Last Edited by Cttime at 02 Sep 14:55
Sweden

I am a bit mixed on this one. Yes the tower controller should have told him to hold short. But he passed two easy taxiways and clearly just didn’t want to be inconvenienced with two extra turns. He knew F16s were operating on the crossing runway, one was 3 miles when he touched down and elected to rollout like one.

EGTK Oxford

Hmm, two F-16s on short final 25. I don’t care, It’s my runway, my my my

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

I don’t care, It’s my runway, my my my

Well, he did care, didn’t he?

I’d have been angry as well.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Well, he did care, didn’t he?

In a rather token manner I would say. You are supposed to exit at first opportunity, not the last, and certainly not when you know two F-16s are practicing at the crossing runway at the end. People are funny, that’s for sure

I remember when I took the bus driving license (small bus, up to 19 seats due to sudden and large increase in family size ) The teacher said that if I forgot everything else, then NEVER forget that a bus driver will not force his right in the traffic and start a “fight” with other drivers (ie. the safety of passengers come first). I think this is true in aviation as well (unless of course you are flying a fighter jet )

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I’m with LeSving, the controlling appears to be below par but the pilot was showing neither good airmanship nor basic politeness. He knew the field was busy yet ambled along a runway as though he had it to himself. Oh, and from the over-printing on the video, he appears to be illiterate in his own language.

strip near EGGW

I’m with the pilot on this one. You don’t clear a plane to land on a runway while the intersecting one is in use. Regardless if it’s a C152 of an F16. What if he had to go around, or he had no brakes?

I find the pilot’s reaction very polite and collected. I don’t know if I would be able to not speak up, regardless were I vacated the runway.

ESME, ESMS

LeSving wrote:

You are supposed to exit at first opportunity, not the last,

That would depend on the situation. The parallel taxiway was also the taxiway for departures from the runway. If he simply took the first exit he could have blocked the taxiway for a departure — or been forced to wait until the departure passed. In that situation where the apron was at the far end of the runway I would also not take an early exit without being told so.

Look at this example:

With runway 01 in use and a reasonably slow aircraft and even moderate wind, you could easily take the “B” exit. However, all departures will taxi via “A” to “B”, so taking that exit without being instructed to do so could really mess things up.

People are funny, that’s for sure

Indeed.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 02 Sep 19:29
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message