Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Don't taxi near tiedown ropes

10 Posts

This may be obvious but it has often amazed me how easily this could be done

I can’t believe the guy is suggesting taxiing over a rope at low power. One should not go anywhere near one!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I wonder if he still intends to rent that plane out for 119 $/hr after its prop having hit rocks and ropes. That might be attempted manslaughter in my book.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 21 Apr 15:04

Tiedown ropes (attached to anchor points on the tarmac) are very rare in Europe. But yes, do pay attention what you taxying over. Some people leave chocks lying around in the parking position of the wheels.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Rwy20 wrote:

after its prop having hit rocks and ropes.

Good point, though I’me very confident that this is a scrap prop, which has been cut down for the demonstration. The cut off tip is pretty obvious in the video, and Sensenich metal props typically have two white stripes, the outer one has been cut off in the video.

Tiedown ropes are very common in North America, as well as cables and chains, so yes, great care is required while taxiing. We also have our fair share of gravel aprons and runways, so special care is required for gravel operations. I train Cessna single tricycle pilots to taxi with the elevator full up all the time, and 15 degrees of flaps extended when you’re concerned about what you’re taxiing over. The extended flap changes the downwash over the tail and helps to raise the nose just a little more. You can get to the point on a Cessna where the nose is high enough that the nosewheel steering centering cam prevents steering. If this happens, power to idle, coast, steer, keep the elevator full up, and ease in power gain when you’re around the corner, and the surface under the prop is inoffensive.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Tiedown ropes are very common in Europe, especially southern Europe, but they are not normally left lying on the ground, attached to the ring in the concrete. However I have seen ones lying on the ground.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The main problem in the US is that tiedown ropes are left on the ground, arranged in the T pattern (with one tie-down for the tail). So, when you taxy back in, coming in straight, you taxy over the tail tie-down first. Lots if people do it. Even the „pros“. See the following video, at 17:12, for an example.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 21 Apr 17:06
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

The main problem in the US is that tiedown ropes are left on the ground, arranged in the T pattern (with one tie-down for the tail). So, when you taxy back in, coming in straight, you taxy over the tail tie-down first. Lots if people do it. Even the „pros“

Blowing rocks and dust towards other people’s planes is uncalled for, so I shut down the engine while facing straight down the taxiway and push the plane backwards through 90 degrees into the spot. Same thing when taxiing between hangar rows – I don’t like people blowing dirt into my hangar, and don’t blow dirt into theirs.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 21 Apr 17:41

Right from the get go I was taught not to taxi over tiedown ropes, and to pull up to the spot and then push the plane into position after shutdown. Also, on hangars, what Silvaire said.

Andreas IOM

Pilot_DAR wrote:

I train Cessna single tricycle pilots to taxi with the elevator full up all the time, and 15 degrees of flaps extended when you’re concerned about what you’re taxiing over. The extended flap changes the downwash over the tail and helps to raise the nose just a little more.

I think you should make it clear that taxiing with flaps down is not a good idea for all aeroplanes, especially low wing – I would be most upset if one of our aeroclub pilots taxied a Robin or Jodel around with the flaps in a position where they could be damaged by debris…

Regards, SD..

skydriller wrote:

I think you should make it clear that taxiing with flaps down is not a good idea for all aeroplanes, especially low wing

Very true. So I did say Cessna single tricycle. I have no reason to recommend taxiing flaps down on any other type….

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message