Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PPL and making a living as a youtuber (and YT advertising policies)

Frans wrote:

Oh dear, I can imagine that after reading this entire story! Maybe you could have escalated it to the head of CAA in Münster, or even LBA? Or send a report through the EASA channel?

I asked for the situation with regards the close encounter on final to be escalated as it was not only my word but also that of the Flugleiter who had seen the airprox and how close we both were, he couldn’t understand how we didn’t collide nor what the other aircraft was actually doing.

Strangely enough, the reason that pilot gave over the radio to the Flugleiter was that he “was an instructor and needed to keep his low level flying skills honed” – wonder if there’s something in the water which makes Flight Instructors in that region prone to excessive muppetry? Either way, the Flugleiter informed him, again over radio, that flying over Hamm without any intention to land needs to be at least 2000ft MSL, which is clearly stated in the AIP. No response. When I complained about the lack of response from BR Münster, nothing happened except “Water under the bridge”, “too late to re-open the case”.

I doubt whether EASA would get involved because discipline for pilot matters is a local government issue, not a pan-european one….

Last Edited by Steve6443 at 26 Oct 04:31
EDL*, Germany

Do you people all see adverts on YT?

Recently YT has started blocking people who use Adblock, so one gets stupid adverts every few mins – unless one gives YT money.

But maybe some aviation channels don’t carry ads; I pay $50/year to Vimeo and it doesn’t serve adverts to viewers of my videos as a result.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It got crazy with ads since YT recently blocked AdBlock which by the way is illegal to do in Europe.

LELL, Spain

Peter wrote:

Do you people all see adverts on YT?

Yes, we do, and then some. I think sometimes it is less than 2 min between adverts.

EGTR

My input, FWIW, on this topic, would nowadays be:

“Your favourite GA Aviation YouTube channel(s) = zero”

I suspect that GA channels are all trying to moneytise, so won’t be paying YT to not inserts adverts!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I pay for youtube premium, so I don’t see ads and can download videos for later viewing (such as on an airline flight). Some dislike the idea of paying for YT premium, but then they probably also have a Netflix subscription, so what’s the difference? It’s worth it for me because I don’t watch TV, or netflix, amazon prime video or whatever. But there’s lots of interesting and educational stuff on YT so it is good value IMO.

United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I suspect that GA channels are all trying to moneytise, so won’t be paying YT to not inserts adverts!

GA is expensive as we all know. So what exactly is wrong with monetizing, if you deliver content which is worth paying for?

Frankly, I hardly watch normal TV anymore, because a) it also is full of commercials and b) it is impractical due to time constraints. What I want to watch is outside my time windows most of the time and the rest is garbage. And it’s also not free: To get cable with some usable content you also pay money, most of the time in connection with internet providing, but still, it’s not free.

It’s been long in the coming that normal TV will make way to pay-tv with flexible timing, so you watch the content you want when you want it. Being a shift-owl, this has long been my way of doing it.

YT carries a lot more than “just” plane videos or CT nutcase material. My use for it is very often “how to” videos (e.g. how to repair my mobile), news shows (the “official” Bulgarian news broadcasts for instance are streamed on YT) and the odd movie. I feel I get a lot more out of it than the money I pay to make it commercial free.

So I’ve been paying for youtube for a while, actually I got a family premium account, which allows 5 google accounts to have unlimited access without commercials as well as offline watching (great for airline trips) and youtube music. Cost is 23 CHF per month. Seeing what I pay for other stuff, I think it’s not a lot.

I also don’t really mind supporting channels which make content I like. I know some of them personally and I have ideas how much they make… most are financing their equipment and some of the activities they do, others live of YT and Patreon fully. The latter however is very hard work. I know two of them who almost burnt out trying to deliver weekly content before mellowing down to a more managable level and taking day jobs.

Free usually means you pay for it in another way. In YT and other platforms that is via commercials. You can get rid of them for a relatively modest amount, so I consider this to be a fairer trade than a lot of others.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

IO390 wrote:

I pay for youtube premium, so I don’t see ads and can download videos for later viewing (such as on an airline flight). Some dislike the idea of paying for YT premium, but then they probably also have a Netflix subscription, so what’s the difference? It’s worth it for me because I don’t watch TV, or netflix, amazon prime video or whatever. But there’s lots of interesting and educational stuff on YT so it is good value IMO.

IO390, if the access was defined by IP and not username, I’d have been OK with that. But for now I’d have to pay for subscription, clearly allow them to track the viewing preferences and all history per username and not per internet router, and do that for crappy interface, etc, even for those videos where monitisation is OFF (I know some), as now all the videos will have ads as per new YT policy.
tempting, but NO” (c)
I’m happy to pay for content (and I do pay for some) directly to the content producer, but I have problems with YT.

EGTR

IO390 wrote:

I pay for youtube premium, so I don’t see ads

I’ve been considering doing this, but I read somewhere that after a while they give you ads even if you paid for premium – I take that this is not actually true?

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

IO390 wrote:

Some dislike the idea of paying for YT premium, but then they probably also have a Netflix subscription, so what’s the difference?

The was a difference a year or two ago in that YT used to charge outrageously for premium. But since then YT has lowered its subscription price.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message