Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mandatory / minimal IFR equipment for Europe

Peter wrote:

Doesn’t Australia mandate an IFR GPS for all IFR above a certain altitude anyway?

Europe (or most of it) does and has done for at least 10 years. It used to be in BRNAV airspace (FL095+ originally) but now it is in all controlled airspace, AFAIK.

I have to admit I’m not sure about that (having only ever flown VFR), it could be true but in that case it is likely from a higher level.

Strangely enough the initial issue of a PIFR is not even allowed to have GPS based navigation on it, so I guess that’ll have to change. (And yes a ‘bare’ PIRF doesn’t really allow you to do much at all, no entry into CTA, no approach and departure procedures, just enroute navigation in class G & E).

5.3 For initial issue of the PIFR rating, the only flight
procedure authorisations which may be included in the flight
test are navigation using NDB, VOR and DME. If the test is
conducted at night, a night FPA may also be issued.

5.4 Additional FPAs may be tested subsequent to the initial
issue of the rating but not during the actual PIFR rating test.
There is no limit to the number of FPAs that may be tested in
one flight after the rating has been issue

A quick search in the current AIP, looks like you’d be able to get away with just using a single VOR for charter below 5700kg, and even RPT traffic could get away with not using GPS equipment (all in theory off course, it would be a pain impossible to plan for in the real world).

The enroute section does have a bit more on area navigation systems, but doesn’t require area navigation systems.
(Interesting to see that if you have a full time licenced navigator there are no further requirements at all).

Last Edited by Maritime_Ev at 02 Aug 20:27

My guess, @Maritime_Ev, is that the text is very old (decades).

A full-time licensed navigator? I thought that went out with the DC-10.

The last para also doesn’t align with the way IFR approval is done these days, in GA. You get an IFR approved aircraft if it meets all of the following

• the aircraft type has a full CofA (homebuilts etc is another discussion )
  • there is an IFR certified GPS installed
  • it is installed in accordance with its installation manual, including any annunciators, indicators, etc (e.g. an HSI or a CDI)
  • the GPS installation is actually legal (i.e. approved i.e. there is an STC, a field approval, etc i.e. just cutting a hole and screwing a GNS430 in there is not a legal installation)
  • the aircraft isn’t restricted to VFR-only by some other regulation, or wording in the POH
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

My guess, @Maritime_Ev, is that the text is very old (decades).

I guess everything in Australia happens 20 years later, maybe that’s why I like it here
With the introduction of the new PBN rules they’ll probably update the AIP to be in line with what you discribed.

Those new requirements in combination with shutting down more than half the ODB/VOR/DME installations (166 total) will push operators of aircraft like the one in the video out of business. Especially since it’s not really a good time for people living in the outback anyway (mines closing, farmers suffering from long draughts).

Peter wrote:

A full-time licensed navigator? I thought that went out with the DC-10.

Don’t think our newly introduced part 61 has a rating or licence for air-navigator anymore, also very few AC around with a port on top for a sextant (though the HO249 air navigation tables are still published jointly by the UK and US hydrographic services).

Last Edited by Maritime_Ev at 02 Aug 23:00
SERA.5015 Instrument flight rules (IFR) — Rules applicable to all IFR flights
(a) Aircraft equipment
Aircraft shall be equipped with suitable instruments and with navigation equipment appropriate to the route to be
flown and in accordance with the applicable air operations legislation.

“full CofA” whatever that is, is irrelevant. GPS is dependent of airspace.

NCO.IDE.A.125 Operations under IFR — flight and navigational instruments and associated equipment
Aeroplanes operated under IFR shall be equipped with:
(a) a means of measuring and displaying the following:
(1) magnetic heading;
(2) time in hours, minutes and seconds;
(3) pressure altitude;
(4) indicated airspeed;
(5) vertical speed;
(6) turn and slip;
(7) attitude;
(8) stabilised heading;
(9) outside air temperature; and
(10) Mach number, whenever speed limitations are expressed in terms of Mach number;
(b) a means of indicating when the supply of power to the gyroscopic instruments is not adequate; and
(c) a means of preventing malfunction of the airspeed indicating system required in (a)(4) due to condensation or icing.

No mention of GPS here either (or any other avionics).

In general:

NCO.IDE.A.100 Instruments and equipment — general
(a) Instruments and equipment required by this Subpart shall be approved in accordance with the applicable
airworthiness requirements if they are:
(1) used by the flight crew to control the flight path;
(2) used to comply with NCO.IDE.A.190;
(3) used to comply with NCO.IDE.A.195; or
(4) installed in the aeroplane
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Sure GPS is not mentioned as mandatory for RNAV but how would you navigate say this

(count the waypoints which are navaids)

The acceptable means of compliance with RNAV are

• inertial – not likely on anything below the biggest business jets
  • IFR GPS
  • the ancient KNS80 can be BRNAV approved, if antenna filters are fitted (but it useless for the above route)

Unfortunately or fortunately, there are lots of areas in aviation where there isn’t a single easy to find reg. It’s a bit like the maximum residence regs on non-local-registered homebuilts

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Unfortunately or fortunately, there are lots of areas in aviation where there isn’t a single easy to find reg

SERA and Part NCO spells it out nicely in my opinion. The IFR nav equipment is airpace dependent, and has to be found in the AIP. GPS is certainly not needed in Scandinavia (below 10k), but I guess it is not needed in the same way a GPS VFR nav app is not needed for VFR navigation (it just makes life 10 times easier )

My point is that there is nothing special about IFR equipment regarding how the aircraft is certified. There is no connection there in the regulations (SERA and part NCO). IFR NAV equipment is part of the airspace requirements only, which is what SERA clearly states.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I doubt you will find a reg saying GPS is mandatory, anywhere.

It just happens to be the only means of legal compliance, and is for sure the only practical way to do long trips.

Obviously whenever anyone writes the above, you will get a dozen people saying they flew from Shoreham to Kathmandu, in an ultralight, just using a 1929 map like those in the Indiana Jones movies. Of course it can be done. In fact I briefly shared a hangar with a guy who did exactly that. He wrote it up somewhere, maybe 15 years ago. With certain events removed. Last year I saw a pilot in a Robin at Corfu LGKR who proudly flew there from France, using a road atlas. You just need a lot of confidence, determination, and a don’t-give-a-sh1t attitude to the ATC chaos you leave in your wake (unless you really are very good, or fly non-radio and so low they can’t see you on radar like, presumably, that Vari-EZ guy who “crashed” near Stapleford and reappeared in Switzerland – £20k fine).

Administrator

Peter wrote:

The acceptable means of compliance with RNAV are
  • inertial – not likely on anything below the biggest business jets
  • IFR GPS
  • the ancient KNS80 can be BRNAV approved, if antenna filters are fitted (but it useless for the above route)

Also DME/DME, but that’s out of the price range for light GA as well.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

LeSving wrote:

My point is that there is nothing special about IFR equipment regarding how the aircraft is certified. There is no connection there in the regulations (SERA and part NCO). IFR NAV equipment is part of the airspace requirements only, which is what SERA clearly states.

Under EASA regs, yes, not necessarily under national regs. Currently, SE-reg aircraft must have a VOR and an ADF to fly IFR, no matter the airspace requirements. If you fly in airspace where RNAV is required, then you also must have a DME! Fortunately, this nonsense will go away next year when part-NCO replaces the Swedish national regs for non-commercial OPS.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 03 Aug 09:19
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message