Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mandatory / minimal IFR equipment for Europe

A 430 would be the cheapest way to get BRNAV and 8.33.

Otherwise a KLN94 would be cheaper still and do a similar job.

For LPV, a 430W. But it’s likely to be many years before that is relevant in this case.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If you are looking at spending 9k EUR on a GPS why wouldn’t you install a 650/750 unless it is purely about cost and you care nothing for having a current supported product. I can’t believe a 650 would cost much more to install would it?

To put a 400 let alone a KLN94 in an aircraft now as a new installation seems odd unless there is no other alternative.

Equally I wouldn’t install a new GPS for IFR use now that couldn’t do LPV.

Last Edited by JasonC at 19 Mar 22:25
EGTK Oxford

Hi Jason

Just checking what might be a realistic minimum to update the average four seater 1960-80’s panel.

Carefully planned you might get change from €10k.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I am thinking of finishing up my instrument rating in the US this winter, then getting the EASA IR. If I do that, I have to figure out if it makes sense to upgrade my Rallye to an IFR plane.
This is what the plane has:
KING KI125 NAV/CÖMM FM IMMUN
KING KNS80 VOR ILS DME
TRIG MODE S XPDR
KING ADF /INOP/
GARMIN 100 VFR GPS
4 PLACE INTERCOM
ARTEX 406MHZ ELT
EDM700 ENGINE ANALYYZER

What would be the cheapest (and most sensible) way to get a legally IFR plane (for light IFR only)? Since I need to put in 8.33 in the next year anyway, I’m thinking of adding a 430W. I have a Garmin 696 that I could panel mount. The plane has given me no problems so far. The choice is between doing a low cost upgrade that would permit light IFR and selling it and upgrading to a retractable.

Advice? (please resist gold-plating—better to upgrade than put the money into G500 + GTN650….)

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 27 Aug 10:22
Tököl LHTL

It depends on the airspace you want to fly. In Norway below 10k feet, all that is needed is one VOR (for nav), in addition to the basics (radio, transponder, and Part NCO). For approaches (ILS) you probably need two VORs (for redundancy). Above 10k it is BRNAV.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

10K and lower should be fine. Geographically, flying all over Europe, from Baltics to Spain and Balkans to Ireland.

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 27 Aug 10:25
Tököl LHTL

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

…flying all over Europe…

Then you really need 8,33 and BRNAV. Go for the GNS430 (W or not is up to you, a pre-owned “cheap” GNS430 without the “W” is currently sufficient). Mode S and and ELT you already have. I would keep, panel space permitting, a second set of COM/NAV. For listening in to ATIS or 121.5 in case ATC can’t contact you on the normal radio (happens more often than one thinks). Donate the Garmin 100 to a museum

EDDS - Stuttgart

The KNS80 gives you DME and VOR/ILS. The 81 gave you BRNAV, not sure why the 80 didn’t, but you can still programme most enroute waypoints. You have mode S, so either get a TY91 for 8.33, or a new slide in COM, or as you suggest a 430W which also opens up GNSS approaches. Ditch the inop ADF, getting ride of the antenna might add a few knots.

This thread suggests the 80 is OK for BRNAV purposes.

https://www.euroga.org/system/1/assets/files/000/000/162/162/53831d093/original/ICAO-FPL-2012-notes.pdf

Last Edited by RobertL18C at 27 Aug 10:43
Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

The KNS-80 does need the FM immumity filter to be allowed to IFR though

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

RobertL18C wrote:

This thread suggests the 80 is OK for BRNAV purposes.

It might legally be OK for the purpose, but the reality of BRNAV is to fly by named waypoints, not coordinates or even radial/DME fixes as with a KNS80. In a country like Germany where all IFR flying is now by waypoints, a KNS80 is of no use at all.

EDDS - Stuttgart
Sign in to add your message