Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying out of Stuttgart EDDS

I am moving from Stockholm to Stuttgart for a role with Daimler and I am considering buying or renting a Cirrus SR22 or a TB20 for my travels back home with the family (and other destinations in Europe). I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions on options in the area in terms of renting (or fractional ownership). I would also be interested in understanding availability and cost of hangar space etc as I am seriosly considering buying to have full flexibility and access whenever I need it.

I have seen that sk aviation operates a couple of SR22’s and have both renting and fractional ownership. Dors anyone have experience with them?

Again, any advice or suggestions are most welcome!

EDTD (ESGJ), Germany

There are not so many possibilities in Stuttgart. SK has, as far as I know, sold all of the aircraft now. It must be last week, when the last one was given to a group of pilots and now they share it. I may ask, if they are complete, but I think so.
To rent one, there is only the SR20 of the Aero-Beta. A TB20 is not at the field at the moment, as far as I know.
If you are looking to buy your own, to get a place in the hangar might be difficult, maybe if someone is leaving with his aircraft. And for a SR22 it will be around 800,— € the month. You will have talk to Kurz, they are running the GAT for a place in the hangar.
I hope someone here does know more then I do, because these are not the best news. Where will you be based for Daimler? May be Schwäbisch Hall EDTY is also a possibilty for you, but no idea if you could find what you are looking for there. It is just the second nice IFR field in the vicinity and maybe easier to find

EDDS , Germany

Hello,

I have been flying out of Stuttgart since 1988, but mostly as instructor and commercial pilot. So I am not really familiar with the current situation of owning or renting privately.

Stuttgart airport has a lot of benefits over the smaller airfields around: 24 hour opening time for propeller aircraft, instrument approaches, fuel delivered from 5:30 till 22:30 (or so), maintenance, border control and customs during the same period. Landing, handling (mandatory) and parking fees are a bit on the high side I am told. Hangarage is rather expensive and not readily available (best enquire with Kurz Aviation regarding their current waiting list status) and fetches additional charges for pulling the aircraft in and out of the hangar. Parking outside should not be a problem in our climate, at least not for metal airplanes. The ones I co-owned were always parked outside.

As far as I know there is no TB20 currently stationed here, but some Cirruses. Maybe one of the private owners would be willing to make his plane awailable for renting. I can ask around if you are interested.

But depending on where you will be staying Stuttgart is not the only (or best) option for flying in this region. Road traffic around the airport is very slow during peak hours and the loss of time due to security checks and parking can be substantial.
If you live to the south or southwest (e.g. In the area of The Daimler Sindelfingen plant), Donaueschingen can be a good alternative. It will not take much longer to reach your aircraft than going to one at Stuttgart. The airfield has an instrument approach and good opening hours (very flexible with PPR), hangarage and a flying club from where to rent.

To the North, there are two options: Pattonville, where Stuttgart Aeroclub is based. It is a members-only airfield with a limited number of movements allowed and VFR only, but the closest one to Stuttgart city, and it’s western and northern parts. While the Aeroclub was still based at Stuttgart airport, they had a TB20. But that was long ago and I don’t know what their current fleet looks like. Club members are allowed to operate their own aircraft from Pattonville.

Further to the Northeast is Schwäbisch Hall with all facilities, hangarage, IFR, flexible hours, customs and border police on request. But it’s quite a drive if you live to the south or southwest of Stuttgart. To the east there are two further airfields, Heubach and Aalen. Both are VFR only but quite popular among owners who live in Stuttgart (e.g. our forum member achimh).

Last Edited by what_next at 19 Jul 09:12
EDDS - Stuttgart

what_next wrote:

Pattonville, where Stuttgart Aeroclub is based. It is a members-only airfield with a limited number of movements allowed

Pattonville is also allowed for foreign pilots, but limited http://www.edtq.de/main/edtq/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=29&Itemid=75.

In my case my request was approved without problems. However they don’t provide fuel.

EDLE

Thank you, much appreciated! I don’t mind a one hour drive to get to a nice field, ideally IFR. Not sure yet where I will be living but probably within a 25 km radius from Degerloch or Sindelfingen where the international school is.

I have an instrument rating, and close to 500 hours and plan to go for professional transition training to fly the SR22.

@eddsPeter, if you have a chance to ask if any of the SR22 groups would accept one more member, that would be very appreciated!
@what_next, if you get a chance to ask around if anyone would be interested in letting me rent or buy a share, that would be great!

Really appreciate your advice and help! Thanks again!

EDTD (ESGJ), Germany

Small tip on approaching owners – other than agreeing to training with and checkout by an FI they know and trust – is to commit a minimum number of hours per year that makes it worth their while. You have a much higher chance of success if you offer them a 50 hour block deal.

Biggin Hill

Thanks, 50 hours blocks are fine with me!

EDTD (ESGJ), Germany

@Wingman I did ask. But they are complete. 5 pilots and thats the number of sharing people they degined as maximum.

EDDS , Germany

@ eddsPeter Thank you, nice to come across people that helpful. Let me know if you would ever plan a trip to Sweden and want some advice!

EDTD (ESGJ), Germany

@Wingman You are welcome. Before our next trip to sweden I will send you an email. Thanks. If you like to meet somewhen, you may give me a note when you are at Stuttgart. We live 15 minutes from the airport and it would be nice to meet you in person. I may give you some advice for nice destinations in the vicinity of Stuttgart or in general in Germany and France.

EDDS , Germany
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message