Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Eye / fingerprint scanning at all EU / Schengen border points, and will this affect GA travel

So UK resident but EU citizen/passport?

ETIAS/EES is only for non-EU nationals (but the context for a pilot flying his aircraft, it will impact the choice and availability of small GA airports for non-Schengen arrivals)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Does anyone have a clue how this relates to travelling to the Schengen area from the UK but on an EU passport.

In general, your passport is not relevant (unless you need a visa to enter). It is the departure point of the flight that determines whether immigration and/or customs is needed.

And you can’t lie about where you came from (practically). You can certainly lie about where you are going to – because you can file and then divert, due to weather, etc.

There are useful exceptions however e.g. if you land at Aero Friedrichshafen EDNY, and you stand around waiting for the shuttle bus, the driver asks where you came from, and you can tell him what you like. If you have say a French passport then you will get taken straight to the show If you say you came from the UK he will say you are not allowed to share a bus with others (Brits are perhaps more smelly) so will leave you standing there for longer and eventually you get dumped into the airline terminal to queue behind 100 Russians (as it was then; not many of those today). I am trying to get my Czech passport but it is a process designed to not work…

As for the rest, above, nobody actually knows. But we all know that some countries value tourism more than others. Also some countries dislike the UK less than others and that is relevant since the outcome of this will ultimately be according to top level political direction.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Also some countries dislike the UK less than others and that is relevant since the outcome of this will ultimately be according to top level political direction.

Not very likely. There is only one reason why there are so many international airfields in Norway. The reason is that any Mayor with a shred of self respect and pride for his little town has to have two things to really be able to sleep well at night:

1. An international airfield, with
  2. Direct flights to/from London

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Peter,
I must say getting my Irish passport was a breeze, but then I am from Belfast!

Lee on Solent, United Kingdom

Wonder which GA airports will have these facilities

New checks are due at the EU’s external borders in five months but there is still no information about what will be done at key UK ports to avoid long delays for travellers to France.

The EU’s Entry/Exit System (EES) is due to start on May 1 and means all non-EU nationality visitors must have a photo and their fingerprints taken and their passport scanned on a first trip to the bloc.

The data will be stored for five years.

Dedicated booths for this are being planned in France, especially in airports, but there is no sign of them being installed at Dover, London St Pancras or Folkestone, where there are French checks to board ferries and trains.

Read more: French airports worried about extra waiting due to EU Entry-Exit plan

Read more: Port of Dover queues: A one-off or a long-term problem

The UK sites are short of space and there are fears of long delays.

British in Europe (BiE) campaign group treasurer Christopher Chantrey said: “I think the launch of EES will be terrible: more queues, more congestion, and more bad feeling among passengers.”

For subsequent trips, passports will be scanned and the traveller’s entry to, and exit from, the Schengen area recorded in a database.

Passport stamps will end
Passport stamps will end. EES, which was delayed from this spring, is not related to Brexit – it was first planned in April 2016, before the UK referendum in June of that year.

It aims to keep better track of non-EU citizens limited to 90 in 180-days visits. It will not apply to foreign residents in the EU with residency cards and long-stay visas but it is feared they will be caught up in queues.

Mr Chantrey asked: “How will the system distinguish between people with Withdrawal Agreement [WA] cards who are not concerned by this and visitors who are?

[ @rob post moved to existing thread on this topic ]

A revised launch date of 6 Oct 2024 has been announced for EES. The project has slipped before and will probably slip again, but it’s starting to get real.

Processing times at Eurotunnel are predicted to rise from 60 seconds to 5-7 minutes. All travellers will be required to have the faces scanned and fingerprints recorded. A six month rollout is envisaged while self-service terminals are installed and tested at European posts of entry everywhere.
https://etias.com/articles/eu-border-security-ees-launch-2024

This is different from the ETIAS scheme now scheduled for 2025, which is similar to the US ETAS and gives approval to board an aircraft, is valid for 3 years and costs 7 Euro.

Information on the rollout to smaller airports is minimal. I presume all existing Ports of Entry could be given self-service terminals and in some cases local airfield officials delegated to ensure foreign arrivals use them. For example I could see this happening in Germany but unclear what might happen in France or Netherlands. Many question arise – will immigration officers need to be present for arrivals at Texel, Cherbourg or Le Touquet? Will customs checks become more of a hurdle instead?

One potentially serious issue is that airlines are required to give 48 hours prior notice of all passenger details. Ryanair have complained strongly about that constraint – it stops them selling tickets less than 2 days in advance. It also seems crazy to prevent citizens from travelling abroad with less notice. We can only hope that this gets quashed and shorter timescales like 2 hours apply. Maybe this could be extended to GA flights so that we can access French airfields with shorter notice again.

https://www.thelocal.com/20231214/no-more-last-minute-bookings-airlines-alarmed-over-eus-new-ees-border-system

I think we need to track this closely. It has the potential to improve or constrain Uk-Europe GA travel hugely depending on how it is implemented.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

One potentially serious issue is that airlines are required to give 48 hours prior notice of all passenger details.

Because most GA flights are weather dependent, if 48 hours prior notice is required, pilots will either submit details early – and then constantly cancel – or will be reluctant to travel at all.
This, surely, can’t be conducive to an efficient system; or the allowance of freedom to travel?

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Presumably the airlines will kick up a huge fuss, because loads of tickets are sold last-minute. And often need to be e.g. a few years ago EJ just frivolously cancelled a flight (no we could not claim, due to a technicality which these outfits are very good at exploiting) and we had to come home on BA; a ticket bought 10pm for a flight 11:30pm.

It’s amazing that somebody can come up with this BS and how far it travels before some heads are banged together and it is scrapped…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Never mind buying tickets at the last minute.

What about when a passenger misses a connection! Currently the airlines put them on the next available flight. If they now need to give 48 hours notice of their new flight that would be pandemonium.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Doesn’t Spain already demand passenger information from UK in advance? IIUC it has done so for a couple of years now.
But yes it is going to be pandemonium as the system beds in. It has the potential to be worse after that.🙁
For GA from UK to France I can see 48hrs becoming the norm and even longer on week ends. Even LFAT could become 24hr PN.
UK ga pilots then have the problem that the French don’t tend to reply to emails. That is normal even when trying to contact a plumber or electrician. SMS seems the only way to get through.
So PN and fly or cancel at the last minute seems the only way. C&I probably will not even look at your emails until an hour or 2 before you are due to arrive. And that might also depend on whether or not the officer who speaks English has turned up for work at some time during the week.
Still we have a new young PM. The problem is that the majority of ga pilots are ageing so I’m not sure how he will relate to this small, ageing group.🤔🤔

France
Sign in to add your message