Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Exclusive use of PBN (mandated by EU) by 6 June 2030

That much is clear. But it doesn’t say anything about IFR not being permitted when the tower is active depending on the qualifications of the tower staff.

That limitation doesn’t exist. If the tower is active, IFR approaches are allowed. There’s no such stuff like qualification of the tower staff – either there are there and fully qualified or tower is empty. Maybe you put too much focus on Peter’s word “right” in context of staff – I believe he thought “right” staff can enter tower while “wrong” one can’t.

Last Edited by Emir at 18 Mar 07:14
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

AIP says that airport zone is CTR while tower is active while it’s not it’s ATZ class G airspace.

That much is clear. But it doesn’t say anything about IFR not being permitted when the tower is active depending on the qualifications of the tower staff.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

AIP says that airport zone is CTR while tower is active while it’s not it’s ATZ class G airspace. In Croatia there are no IFR approaches in G.

Last Edited by Emir at 17 Mar 16:05
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter wrote:

However, LDLO is limited to VFR unless it has the right tower staff,

How does one know that? There is no mention in either AIP or NOTAM of the airport being restricted to VFR unless the tower is closed.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I recall that one. The reasoning behind it makes no sense. I can see a commercial operator, without RNP approved avionics (for LDLO, it would be a King Air) asking for a VOR approach so they can do a DIY GPS approach legally (the standard procedure everywhere ).

However, LDLO is limited to VFR unless it has the right tower staff, which IME it mostly doesn’t have. So back to the old problem; I reckon most countries in Europe have this problem.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Almost no airport VORs (or any other VORs for that matter) have been installed in Europe, in many years.

NTL (VOR/DME) at LDLO has been installed recently and LDLO got VOR approach while it didn’t get RNP approach – I really don’t know why. On top of that they have installed new DME (LSJ) on the southern part of the island.

Last Edited by Emir at 17 Mar 11:41
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter wrote:

and irrelevant anyway – UK not in EU, and it is already GPS

Ok back to the topic

Peter wrote:

The ones which don’t have GPS, can’t afford it, can’t afford full ATC, so I don’t get this at all. Why not just make turboprop engines mandatory?

Why do you think it costs a lot? have a look at GPS IAP for LFAB LNAV? no AD TWR ATC, no APP ATC…all you need is QNH: Rouen/Lille can give you one, if they are closed you get QNH on ATIS and fly the approach (it’s Golf: see & avoid traffic and stay away from LFP33)

On costs: LFAB LPV was removed: they can’t afford full time AFIS to keep it, I was told NDB IAP will be removed next year (but LNAV will stay as it costs a small fraction of NDB)

No one could confirm exactly how much the LFAB LNAV costs but similar ones seem to run at 10k£ for every 2 years

Last Edited by Ibra at 17 Mar 11:37
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Whoops yes; I confused it with SFD. I flew the SAM VOR IAP for my IR test, 2012. But EGHI makes so much money (in normal times) that the cost of these is immaterial, and irrelevant anyway – UK not in EU, and it is already GPS:

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

I have flown it 4 years ago, likely the only VOR approach in UK (paid 30£ but not sure if it’s available now)
SAM VOR is used for both IAP and ENR, I am sure the bill is split?

Keeping in mind that Southampton is (or at least was) a NATS-managed airport, I’m not sure what is the financial arrangement.

EGTR

Peter wrote:

Also SAM is not an approach aid

I have flown it 4 years ago, likely the only VOR approach in UK (paid 30£ but not sure if it’s available now)
SAM VOR is used for both IAP and ENR, I am sure the bill is split?

Last Edited by Ibra at 17 Mar 09:44
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message