Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

European Tour Aug/Sep 2022

Krakow definitely. The old town is great and Wieliczka salt mine is unique in the world.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

So much helpful information! Thanks for your input all!

Shifting the conversation to Poland… I think we are going to pick one destination in Poland. We are only going to have two nights in Poland (and possibly only one).

With that in mind, which city would you pick? Ease of getting in and out of the airport, travel time to the city center, charming hotels, great restaurants…

I don’t mind spending money at all on great hotels and restaurants… But I do hate spending fees at an airport that don’t make sense.

Gdansk
Poznan
Wroclaw
Krakow
Warsaw

Thank you All!!

United States

You can also find ~1000 reports free on our airport database and the number is growing all the time. Most of the 1000 was achieved during the 2 lockdown years. Contributions always welcome of course. I hugely doubt SD has “almost all airports” given its main market is the UK and then the usual watering holes elsewhere.

Yes, ‘our’ database is becoming a good resource, but you are mistaken about SD. Most airports throughout Europe are commented on there.

Last Edited by aart at 04 Jul 19:29
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

The amphitheater in Pula is impressive and similar to that in Rome, but the city itself is ‘urbanized’ and was not so attractive to me. It probably depends on whether you like to holiday in cities more generally.

Piran… We thought it was wonderful….!

I have visited it many times and I share your opinion but it’s not comparable to Pula and its more than 2000 years of history.

Last Edited by Emir at 04 Jul 17:04
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

You can also find ~1000 reports free on our airport database and the number is growing all the time. Most of the 1000 was achieved during the 2 lockdown years. Contributions always welcome of course

I hugely doubt SD has “almost all airports” given its main market is the UK and then the usual watering holes elsewhere.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

One tip is to buy SkyDemon since there are helpful pireps on almost all airports. Mostly from single engine piston drivers.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Emir wrote:

Piran is just a small coastal town you visit to spend a day, have a lunch, refuel the aircraft and enter/exit Schengen area.

Well… I and my wife made a stop in Portorož the other year and spent a day in Piran. We thought it was wonderful….!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Texan-AV8R wrote:

Dubrovnik, Kotor, Mostar

It’s a bit of dealing with bureaucracy but visiting Mostar would add great deal of diversity to your tour. It’s a small town but it’s very famous for its bridge and in general the old town is a gem of Ottoman architecture – you can’t see anything similar in Europe. Luckily you need Jet A1 and refuelling at LQMO will definitely be cheaper than anywhere in Europe (no tax of any kind for foreign aircraft) except maybe in Belgrade. The airport staff is very friendly and the airport practically doesn’t have any traffic. The only drawback is PPR 24 hours with submitting slot request form available for download from airport’s website https://mostar-airport.ba/en/usluge-prijevoznicima/ but I believe it’s worth of visiting.

In a jump ball between Pula and Piran, which would you all choose?

Risking to be a bit biased I would go to Pula and visit Roman amphitheatre – one of the largest and best preserved Roman amphitheatres in Europe. It’s still active featuring concerts and movie projections during Pula film festival. Besides that Pula was big military stronghold of Austro-Hungarian empire and has 26 well preserved fortresses (Fort Bourguignon, Punta Cristo, Castello, Muzil, Maria Luisa being the famous ones) and 60 cannon posts, many of them connected with underground tunnels – brief insight here. I believe it’s the largest system of coastal military fortification on Mediterranean.

Piran is just a small coastal town you visit to spend a day, have a lunch, refuel the aircraft and enter/exit Schengen area.

Last Edited by Emir at 04 Jul 09:19
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

In Norway, Bergen is probably nicer than Stavanger. In case you want to push a bit further north to Trondheim, I’ll be happy to welcome you (If I’m in Trondheim at that time of course).

ENVA, Norway
35 Posts
Sign in to add your message