Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The Alps claim another one: Commander 112 D-ELPO (and cost sharing/advertising discussion)

Peter wrote:

What a complete dick

172driver wrote:

OMG, what an idiot !! Well, as the old saying goes: you cannot legislate for stupidity.

Why use words like this in a public forum? Family members left behind might stumple across it. Criticism – and more important what can be learned – can be expressed in more constructive ways.

Last Edited by THY at 27 Nov 09:10
THY
EKRK, Denmark

@THY thanks for that.
The news of that tragic accident was nearly overshadowed by the aggressive stance, allegations and accusations of previous posts.
I for one would wait for the real facts to be know, and then think about… myself. Is my flying safe, is it safe enough, can I improve something? Legalities are one thing, flight safety as whole a much larger subject.

RIP guys.

Last Edited by Dan at 27 Nov 09:24
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

I guess the explanation may be that a PPL doesn’t teach you to actually go anywhere. N2195B (lived in “my” hangar) did much the same thing. But he had an IR.

Yes I should not call somebody that… I just find it hard to accept that somebody with enough brains to get a PPL would not try to learn a bit more practical stuff before flying somewhere. Especially as the plane was not a cheap one, so the guy was probably successful at something i.e. probably not dumb. There is also a huge responsibility when carrying unsuspecting people.

Could it be that he was in facebook on some sort of flight sharing group?

That is a huge general travel group.

I mean, he could just have emailed the Czech CAA and invited them also.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

RIP in particular the unfortunate passengers.

There is no practical SEP AOC AtoB framework that would contemplate a journey in the forecast and actual weather. You then factor in whether the M&B was legal on a relatively underpowered 112 variant.

I am all in favour for sensible flying club cost sharing exercises operating under club rules/SOPs, usually with some sensible peer pressure thrown in to act sensibly.

Perhaps these cost sharing/borderline gray charter forums/apps might develop a simple risk assessment app assisting these pilots in decision making?

In the USA some smart lawyer might be figuring out how to organise a class action suit against the social media platform/app.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

very sad…..

Dan wrote:

Is my flying safe, is it safe enough, can I improve something? Legalities are one thing, flight safety as whole a much larger subject.

I read an interesting quote recently GA flying should be considered as your second job and you better take a professional attitude to it, as it will try to bite you one day…

ADM
IMSAFE-PAVE
….the pressure of social media …..how cool is that…….

Last Edited by Vref at 27 Nov 10:10
EBST

Yeah – was more likely not a revenue operation, at 300 euros each. At 1000 each, more likely yes.

Reminds me of this thread. Some accidents are hard to comprehend; they indicate that somebody got a PPL, knew practically nothing beyond starting the engine, certainly did not know how to “get weather”, etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This is the route and speed/altitude diagram.

I’m not sure how reliable these ground speeds are (probably the spikes are result of missing data) but I guess it was a bumpy ride. On 25th Croatian and Slovenian coast had very strong bora.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Speed and attitude data is much more realistic with ADSB Out, from an installed transponder. Even with that sometimes I still see spikes on my flights.
Typically at 145kts it will show data points around the real speed with spikes upto 175kts, in almost every flight.

United Kingdom

The plane was equipped with ADSB out. How can I know?
I operated it for 14 years.

You see here: https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=3d2348&lat=47.801&lon=13.965&zoom=13.2&showTrace=2023-11-25

It shows a bit the last moves. Up and down like a yo-yo.

United Kingdom

Emir wrote:

This is the route and speed/altitude diagram.

Is this a weather overlay showing precipitation / rain and if so, in the moment of the flight?

Last Edited by UdoR at 27 Nov 15:21
Germany
Sign in to add your message