Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SR-20 D-ESFB

Surprising he didn’t pull the chute – that’s what it’s for – to save your life and the lives of your passengers. Perhaps he had not yet had the formal Cirrus training, which from what I hear is very good.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

@Emir, the article says they were going to their home base at LOLS.

@Emir, the article says they were going to their home base at LOLS.

Yes, I read it but the track doesn’t confirm that. Maybe they planned to make that flight later or the other day. In cases like this articles can state anything and more often than not it doesn’t have anything with facts.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

Yes, I read it but the track doesn’t confirm that.

Looks like both destinations are correct. From a different source, they flew LOLS – LOWS to pick up two pax, then on to LDZA, with the reverse planned for the accident flight. No other new info.

Perhaps he had not yet had the formal Cirrus training, which from what I hear is very good.

No doubt it is, but I got checked out just by a club CFI in an SR20 a long while back and I can assure you I knew how to pull the chute!

LFMD, France

Not pulling the chute has to be kinda similar to not doing a precautionary landing even in extreme poor Wx.
It’s trained for in PPL and you may consider it, but in real life you’ve got to consider it as writing-off the aircraft, as in those conditions you’re not guaranteed a ‘bowling green’ and can’t fly around for a long time choosing a nice flat bit of grass.

It happened to me.
I was very tempted to use a field, and if you genuinely think you’ll die, it’s the way to go. But a part of me thought I’d sort it out. Luckily I did.
Landing in a field in anything other than a Cub/Husky etc isn’t trivial.
RIP.
It seems like there has been many more this last 24months than I usual. (Not counting but it seems that way.

United Kingdom

UdoR wrote:

A young man from Lungau stated that the Cirrus first [oscillated] relatively low between the local airfield in Mauterndorf and Tamsweg, then flew almost vertically into the sky, came to a standstill there and then crashed to the ground almost in a fall line.

This brings back my hunch that they (there were 2 pilots on board apparently) were trying to get into Mauterndorf when they saw that the way ahead was blocked and then lost visual references and pulled up, possibly to get to shute release height, but rather to avoid the mountain they crashed into.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

This brings back my hunch that they (there were 2 pilots on board apparently) were trying to get into Mauterndorf

One was reportedly an instructor.

Unless the wx had closed behind them, why try a tricky Alpine airfield deep in a valley, when they had an international airport with instrument approaches – Klagenfurt / LOWK about 40 miles behind them…

Probably boxed in…

always learning
LO__, Austria

Emir wrote:

ADL in-flight weather box is a must have tool.

If there is such thing as an EuroGA mandatory operational requirement, carrying one of those is included for anything but short local bimbles.

Antonio
LESB, Spain
Sign in to add your message