Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

USA: F-16 Ejection Followed Unauthorized Intercept Of GA Aircraft...

It’s nice with some clickbait every now and then

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

This is all a bit harsh on the (clearly inept) jet jockey. I was ‘attacked’ by a bunch of Hawks over the Irish Sea and greatly enjoyed the “Dagger dagger dagger” stuff they did on the radio.

I wonder if this GA pilot even noticed what happened?

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

MedEwok wrote:

If anyone asks me, the most realistic show on the subject has been, surprisingly, Scrubs, which was fairly well researched if you look past the comedic elements (which I also liked).

LOL, I am not gonna ask you about “House” then. I do like Hugh Laurie however… funny to see him in this role after his other work such as Black Adder.

MedEwok wrote:

But the idea that, coming back to the OP, the pilot of that F-16 let what he saw in movies influence their decision making seems strangely plausible :)

Well, let’s hope he has another explanation.

I don’t know if you remember the effect “Smokey and the Bandit” had a the time. The CB scene went berserk after that movie. And black Trans Am’s were in, long before Knight Rider.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Good answer Mooney_Driver, I understand much better now what you mean.

Certainly if one takes great interest in a topic and that is subject of a movie or other work of fiction, it can be a massive turn-off if the authors did obviously not do their research properly. Willing suspension of disbelief is more difficult for something one knows a lot about or cares greatly about or both.

In a similar vein, I don’t care much for most medical drama on TV because as a doctor the inherent flaws of the stories are often too severe to overlook and ignore (examples)
If anyone asks me, the most realistic show on the subject has been, surprisingly, Scrubs, which was fairly well researched if you look past the comedic elements (which I also liked).

Sorry I am getting way off-topic. But the idea that, coming back to the OP, the pilot of that F-16 let what he saw in movies influence their decision making seems strangely plausible :)

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

Sorry for the off-topic but if you only see movies because they reflect reality as closely as possible then I’m really sorry for you.

Naah, not at all. I watch all sorts of movies including the ones you mentioned with relish. I love “Airplane” and even the Top Gun Spoof “Hot Shots” and I am a huge fan of Mel Brooks’s outlook on some film generes.

My bookshelf is full of Clancy, Cussler, Higgins and so on besides Tolkien and Rowling and Tom Sharpe :) amongst many others. Some of my favorite authors are totally out of touch with reality and that is fine. But I refrain from aviation “novels” which include so totally obvious falsehoods that it kills the credibility for me. Even in my own stories I used to write, I did try very hard to keep to real life inspired flying, even though it was only aimed at flight simmers. I much prefer reading aviation stuff which is real but still great fun to read. Like “Full Throttle” by John Deakin, “Behind the Cockpit Door” by Arthur Withlock or “Of Comets and Concordes” by Peter Duffey

Somehow Top Gun II, from the trailers I saw, has too much of a Tom Cruise egotrip on it for me to be interested.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Hence, I never bothered to see the movie, as it appears to be based on the main actor’s wet dreams rather than reality.

Sorry for the off-topic but if you only see movies because they reflect reality as closely as possible then I’m really sorry for you.

In fact some of the best movies of all time are taking place far removed from reality, such as Peter Jackson’s interpretation of Lord of the Rings or the original Star Wars trilogy.

Movies about really existing topics, such as Top Gun are also better for liberally interpreting the topic in a way that is fun and exciting to watch. If they were to stick as closely as possible to the subject matter, they’d be documentaries.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Hence, I never bothered to see the movie, as it appears to be based on the main actor’s wet dreams rather than reality.

The movie really isn’t very good. Surprisingly, the followup is better.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Cobalt wrote:

Or should we blame Top Gun II?

Quite possibly. Fact is, what is shown there is not how these fighters are operated. I know some FA18 guys and they were more than outspoken about it. Hence, I never bothered to see the movie, as it appears to be based on the main actor’s wet dreams rather than reality.

arj1 wrote:

Loved some of those:

Not to mention:

“I hope they [the civilian aircraft pilot] paint an F-16 silhouette on their fuselage….”
…. “Best comment I’ve ever seen on AVWEB”

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Or should we blame Top Gun II?

Imagine GA crew watching him flying nearby, “in C150 with 4th generation fighter?”

After the practice intercept, the pilot spotted the small plane flying the holding pattern below the MOA floor at 1,700 feet and the flight lead told him to go and get the tail number.

Bad things happen when you break the hard deck !

Last Edited by Ibra at 05 Dec 22:18
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message