Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Stupid Questions That You've Always Wondered About

There are lots of stupid little questions that I’m sure we’ve all wondered about from time to time, but are too trivial to deserve their own thread. They can probably be answered in a Yes or No one word answer

So maybe it’s fitting to have a thread for such simple questions.

I’ve one to start.

I’ve often heard ATC clearing traffic with “No Speed Restriction” or when clearing someone to climb to a specific level “No climb restriction”. Now these are generally in the terminal area for arriving and departing traffic, making my questions even more ‘stupid’ as the aircraft will have their own limits on this.

But my question is:
If you were flying something like an F15 or F22 with very high performance, would receiving a clearance “No speed restriction” actually allow you to go supersonic? Or does the 250kts below FL100 still apply and do you need a specific clearance to go supersonic?
Likewise does “No climb restriction” allow you to go into a vertical climb if you are capable of that?

These questions clearly qualify for “stupid” as those are clearly not the intensions of the controller, and the aircraft they are taking to aren’t capable of such, and I’ll never fly anything that is capable of such. But none the less, every time I hear it, I do wonder….what if!

If you know the answer, then great. If you don’t know the answer, feel free to add your own stupid questions that you’ve always wondered about

EIWT Weston, Ireland

- no
- no & yes
- no

Last Edited by Dan at 18 Dec 15:27
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

„Unrestricted climb“ is often meant as „cleared FL270 without observing FIX1 at 2000ft, FIX2 above 3000ft, FIX3 below 7000ft“ etc…

always learning
LO__, Austria

My stupid question of the day: Is there actually any legal mandate to use a seatbelt in GA aircraft in Europe?

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

dublinpilot wrote:

If you were flying something like an F15 or F22 with very high performance, would receiving a clearance “No speed restriction” actually allow you to go supersonic? Or does the 250kts below FL100 still apply and do you need a specific clearance to go supersonic?

There are two kinds of speed restrictions:

SERA mandated restrictions, e.g. 250 kt below FL100 in airspace classes C (VFR) or D and E
ATC mandated restrictions – not only by explicit instruction but also. a general speed limit e.g. of 250 kt for IFR below FL100 in a class C TMA.

“No speed restriction” only lifts the second kind – not the first one.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 18 Dec 15:47
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

MedEwok wrote:

Is there actually any legal mandate to use a seatbelt in GA aircraft in Europe?

Sure: See NCO.GEN.105:
(f) During flight, the pilot-in-command shall:
(1) keep his/her safety belt fastened while at his/her station; and
(2) remain at the controls of the aircraft at all times except if another pilot is taking the controls

For passengers see NCO.OP.150:
The pilot-in-command shall ensure that, prior to and during taxiing, take-off and landing, and whenever deemed necessary in the interest of safety, each passenger on board occupies a seat or berth and has his/her safety belt or restraint device properly secured.

Friedrichshafen EDNY

Thanks @tschnell , that was straightforward.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Thank you guys for the answers!

Thank you MedEwok for joining the spirit of the thread

EIWT Weston, Ireland

MedEwok wrote

Thanks @tschnell , that was straightforward.

To complicate, for N-reg, 14 CFR § 91.107 says, “the pilot in command of that aircraft ensures that each person on board has been notified to fasten his or her safety belt”, making actual seatbelt use the passenger’s responsibility, not the pilot’s.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

I learnt a long time ago that if you do not know the answer then it is NOT a stupid question. Well done dublinpilot for starting this.

UK, United Kingdom
105 Posts
Sign in to add your message