Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Red Bull airborne plane swap gone wrong

Ahh, perhaps that’s why the regulator is a taf upset.🙂

France

gallois wrote:

Except if they were going to do a stunt wouldn’t it have been better if they had discussed it with the regulator first?

They did discuss it with the FAA. The FAA said “no”. They went ahead and did it anyway.

Andreas IOM

Except if they were going to do a stunt wouldn’t it have been better if they had discussed it with the regulator first? This would normally be done by a stunt co-ordinator and the production team before any movie stunt.

France
[…] the FAA said both acted in a “careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.”

Don’t get me wrong, yes, going against the ruling body is probably not a smart idea and probably deserves its own punishment, but in my opinion this is a very weak reason if they took at least a bit of care in preparation of their stunt.

Berlin, Germany

At least for one year…

Germany

The ‘professionals’ I was referring to were mountain bikers who presumably they all know how their careers are going to end by looking at their peers. The kids who copy them don’t have that insight.

The pilots are another matter…

Last Edited by kwlf at 03 May 23:50

kwlf wrote:

They’re all professionals,

Well, that’s being generous. I’m not sure what their “profession” would be. For some reason, paint a name on and airplane/boat/car, and the operator seems to think they are less vincible. When I trained fire fighters in the fireboat, one of the first things I’d tell them was that the fact it said “Fire Department” on the side of the boat was no assurance whatever that they too could not come to grief in it. Every time I responded to a call, I’d think to myself, I’m now leaving, in a hurry, to help someone who got it wrong, what will I do differently than they?

I have no forgiveness for these two Red Bull goofs. How many pilots would be happy just to fly normally and safely, the 182 they wasted?

kwlf wrote:

with injuries they will regret for decades to come

Yeah, it’s very unglamorous waking up, not recognizing where you are, with the doctor on one side of you instructing that you wiggle your toes for him, and you wife on the other side with that “I would really rather that you’d not done that” look. Just do normal stuff, safely.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

The cynic in me suspects this was the best possible outcome for them: one pilot makes it across showing it can be done. The other fails showing it’s not easy. One plane crashes, adding a frisson of excitement. My first thought was that whilst I don’t like seeing good hardware trashed, nobody got hurt; no third party was likely to get hurt, and I’m generally in favour of letting people take their own risks.

On the other hand, the day I broke my leg (tumble from an unicycle) I ended up sharing a ward with 2 people who had quite significant injuries from a single Red Bull cycling event. I know there was at least one other competitor who got taken elsewhere. They’re all professionals, but most nice weekends here we see amateur mountain bikers with injuries they will regret for decades to come (will limp for the next 60 years type injuries) and this upsets me. I get the impression that sports and stunts are getting more extreme, and inspirational youtube videos are partly to blame.

Last Edited by kwlf at 03 May 23:12

Redbull gives you wings, FAA takes them away.

ESME, ESMS
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message