Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PA28R G-EGVA missing UK to Le Touquet (and AAIB discussion)

That is what I noticed as well…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Some bits have washed up, whether this points to a crash rather than a ditching and things floating out of the open door remains up for discussion.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-documents-two-brits-missing-26663411

United Kingdom

Yes I think it was either a loss of control (10-20 seconds to well past Vne and a breakup) or a breakup due to wing loading exceeded.

I take on board the comments about loss of radar tracking in that area; maybe it is a txp code change? An interesting bit of data is this track, EGKA-EGJA, 5000ft all the way, and perfectly recorded, and just as far over the open sea

7000 on the txp, then a Jersey code

The above is Flightaware. This is FR24 which I consistently find inferior and often a complete joke:

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I take on board the comments about loss of radar tracking in that area; maybe it is a txp code change? An interesting bit of data is this track, EGKA-EGJA, 5000ft all the way, and perfectly recorded, and just as far over the open sea

I think it’s something else, because I sometimes disappear or don’t show till above a certain altitude. Departing Gloucester however, I show up on the ground like the aircraft at Heathrow do. I suspect it’s ADSB exchange coverage and the strength of said signals.

On changing txp code into France, I definitely disappeared on FR24 though.

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/627d2b3f8fa8f53f90e3b9b1/S1-2022_Piper_PA-28R-200-2_G-EGVA.pdf

As they approached the middle of the Channel, one
of the pilots of G-EGVA, which was operating under VFR, reported to London Information that
they were in cloud. Neither of the pilots onboard was qualified to fly in cloud. Shortly after
this transmission the aircraft disappeared from radar.
G-EGVA was descending through 7,000 ft at about 3,000 fpm and
accelerating during its final transmission

Sad

Last Edited by paleale at 13 May 16:34
United Kingdom

Having flown the English Channel twice at 500ft amsl, I still think limiting the descent to 1500ft due to danger areas to compromise safety on short crossings !

On can extend their flying along the coast to avoid having to deal with danger areas? the only exposure is extra risk from controlled water ditching in case of engine failure but the risk of engine quitting is usually tiny and can be mitigated by raft & jackets…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

69 years old. Almost no recent flying experience.

The question is: why did he end up in clouds? When the conditons are as they were that day, the clouds are very clearly discernable…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

paleale wrote:

Neither of the pilots onboard was qualified to fly in cloud.

“Neither pilot held an instrument rating or IMC qualification. The right seat pilot held a night rating.”

EGTR

Doesn’t the PPL still require demonstrating a level rate one 180 degree course reversal under the hood? I wonder whether this is an example of an unofficial ‘multi crew’ where the pilot not flying, assumed the pilot was more experienced.

The training system does provide the tools for a crew to exit from an inadvertent encounter with IMC, so it is a tragedy when this sort of accident happens.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

From the report:

Both occupants were wearing lifejackets with their shoulder harnesses worn under
their lifejackets

Seriously?? My bold.

Sign in to add your message