Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PA28R G-EGVA missing UK to Le Touquet (and AAIB discussion)

Documents found but no traces of pilot & aircraft

PDF

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

@lbra that link is dodgy and immediately tried to corrupt my ‘phone

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Not sure if it is actually malicious; may just be some dodgy HTML, since newspaper websites hook up literally dozens of 3rd party feeds and plug-ins. I run with adblock so may not have suffered the full assault

Anyway, I replaced it with a PDF of a screenshot of the same report from another reg.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

online streaming during the fatal flight?

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

If genuine, then shot during the flight and uploaded to a person on say whatsapp, or a group on say whatsapp, while still in 3G/4G range. At 7000ft you do have reception on that route.

Administrator

thanks for the tech explanation Peter, now makes sense
And true, I usually still have good 4/5G at up to FL80 over most of EU, mostly used for WX updates.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Whatsup & Telegram work fine for messages & photos anytime they catch signal….for videos or live you have to get good signal or retry

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Yes and no.

On that route, close to the UK coast, you probably get a UK mobile signal.

Outside the UK it is variable. Lots of previous threads, but basically (with a UK SIM) e.g. over Belgium is no signal, France almost the same, and often you get a strong signal but the SIM card has evidently been blacklisted by the network (a known strategy). So it cannot be relied on (use Golze ADL then). In the Alps, very good.

If using a telegram bot for radar images, one image request can block up that source for the rest of the flight! Same with whatsapp; an attempt to send something big can block the phone up for the rest of the flight.

But on that route, a low quality phone video, say a few MB, will transfer in a few seconds on 4G. You can get lucky. Or not if you don’t come back…

Administrator

Peter wrote:

There is a video going around, fairly low quality, taken on G-EGVA not long before their demise. You could work out where they were from the view out of the window (the UK cliffs). It shows the wall of cloud in the distance ahead. Nothing else useful IMHO.

Peter, in your opinion, with regards to that wall of cloud, if a recreational GA pilot who has an IR with a handful or even a decent amount of hours, would you think the correct action in such an encounter (and in such an aircraft) would be to turn back and say divert to Lydd? (no disrespect to those pilots’ judgment as in hindsight it is always easier). I mean, if one has an Instrument Rating and has flown through cloud before it may give a false sense of security about both the pilot’s and aircraft’s own capabilities and this seems like quite a big risk and one that looks very easy to take perhaps not appreciating the actual dangers.

Last Edited by JamiesAviation at 12 Apr 19:29
EGTF, United Kingdom

I’d say it depends on whether your passenger is your other half and whether you would like her to fly with you ever again

If flying alone, slow right down and carry on, unless it is going to be icing conditions in which case go elsewhere (unless ice protected). But it depends on the detail. This pilot obviously didn’t get the wx before going, so didn’t know the extent of it. Tried to go under, tried to go above…

In UK airspace, the IMCR covers it legally.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message