Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus with DFC90 and GNS430 (non WAAS) anybody?

Just read today that WAAS capability will become compulsory for IFR certification under EASA shortly

Do you have a reference for that?

It would ground way over 90% of IFR capable GA.

It isn't going to happen.

BRNAV is mandatory but BRNAV can be met with any IFR GPS, suitably installed with the right annunciators etc. They are not changing that.

Also most bizjets that have GPS don't have WAAS...

Not going to happen.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, a lot of bizjets would be grounded. I've seen one lately without any GPS, the guy flew it over from USA with an iPad and a BT GPS ;-))

I think I will modify my two GNS430 to W ... still the cheapest solution, I am not going to spend 25.000 euros on two GTN650s ...

Or buy two "W" units, but they are rare. I found two at a UK dealer on the net but he will "Only sell them to kitplanes" not certified airplanes, ... I really hate that stupid way Garmin tries to protects its dealers and keep prices high

I found two at a UK dealer on the net but he will "Only sell them to kitplanes" not certified airplanes

Standard tactic.

Try the USA. I am sure somebody on COPA will be able to, shall we say, assist. A Garmin dealer can get the boxes and quietly ship them somewhere.

I bought my Sandel stuff that way, from a big name mail order house, with an "experimental harness". A joke; there was no harness!! But there was an 8130-3. All fresh from Sandel. European database, too.

Or find somebody with a kitplane. It's a joke...

Anyway, it's not going to happen. It's the usual FUD which one constantly picks up at conferences and ATC and other regulatory/enforcement-body presentations. The individuals who work in those bodies like to feel important, and they only way they can do it is by scaring people. Usually they are the same people who, in the UK, use the word "obviously" as every 3rd word (ever watched a senior police offer on TV?). I have been to many presentations and usually come out looking for a dose of Prozac. In one presentation I went to, ATC NATS Swanwick, the speaker (a senior ATCO) said anybody setting 7600 and flying the ICAO lost comms procedure will be shot down. I asked him to repeat it; he was serious. Total bollocks...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

theut it does fly the turn, both in NAV and in GPSS. But then it doesn't switch to VLOC, that's the only problem. If I press the LSK on the PFD and switch it from GPS1 to VLOC1 it works fine. But the switch never seems to happen.

Maybe try turning inbound hitting APPR and waiting. If you get to the FAF manually switch the CDI and hand fly.

EGTK Oxford

Peter,

reference, not yet but I have asked for it. I got this info from two totally independent experts when presenting my avionic list and asking what exactly I would need to do in order to gain IFR certification.

The way I understand it the WAAS compliance for NEW certifications. This would mean, any aircraft being submitted for new certification will have to fulfil the new standards. Existing certified aircraft would be grandfathered for a certain period of time before they also would have to upgrade fully.

However, 8.33 for instance is a fact already and it is subject of debate whether only one or both sets need to be 8.33.

The AP and HSI is already compulsory, what seems to be new is the approach capability.

Again I have asked for clarification but have not had any reply so far other than they will investigate it as well. Apparently this is proposed rulemaking, not yet passed. Which of course however has me up in arms as I do not wish to put a single penny more into my installation unless I know I will have it for a while without having to then do the next and next and next thing.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Jason, yes I can always hand fly, I know :-) If you are in GPSS or NAV you cannot press APPR anymore, at least not in my plane. It DOES WORK however if I switch from GPSS to NAV on the outbound leg from the IAF and then switch the PFD from GPS1 to VLOC1 manually ... all fine then. It just confuses me that it SHOULD switch automatically

However, 8.33 for instance is a fact already and it is subject of debate whether only one or both sets need to be 8.33.

This depends on the register, but if you want to stay on HB reg, it's going to be two.

LSZK, Switzerland

That is my information too, plus WAAS capability from somewhen next year on.

One update on that today by a reputable source:

8.33: The going interpretation is that only 8.33 radios will be included in the IFR equipment list with one of the next issues which means that all other radios will automatically loose their IFR certification. I understand that there will be a grace period for the 2nd radio on currently certified aircraft.

WAAS: This is a proposal so far only. Apparently the information requests sent out by several people in the last several days has caused a bit of a hornet's nest to be released in certain places and we will need to see the outcome. On the sideline however: Garmin has apparently stopped support for some of the non-waas boxes already (28V only GNS530) and is considering stopping support for ALL non WAAS devices "offering" an upgrade whenever they come in for repair for a while, after which they will be non-repairable and therefore trash. Puts a different slant of this, with the same end result.

Urs

please be so kind and stop proclaiming the end of the world everyday. It does no good and it is also, frankly speaking, a little annoying to read.

Other people in general aviation may be much younger and more ambitious than you. IFR equipment has always evolved over time and it always will. The assertion that "this the last straw" may be your personal view - fine- but others may think about this in a much more relaxed way. Also, experience shows that when it comes to decisions on expensive equipment mandates by the authorities, in the end - most of the time, 8.33 excluded - cooler heads prevail and it all doesn't turn out too bad.

It's 2013 and people are still flying, even IFR. Entweder man geht mit der Zeit oder man geht mit der Zeit...

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message