Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus with DFC90 and GNS430 (non WAAS) anybody?

I just reread the manual and APPR is optional vs NAV. While you don't have to press it I find it is easier to use that button than NAV as it is clearer what you are doing. But of course you do whatever you find best.

EGTK Oxford

Yeah, of course. But that's not my point. My point is that the APPR button will not work in many cases!

And that is where we seem to disagree! :) My suggestion is you use GPSS + APPR. Which will transition from GPSS to NAV/APPR I believe.

EGTK Oxford

I will test that - again! - and let you know!

I guess my point is I used the APPR button much more than you and I never flew VOR approaches.

Just saw this in the manual:

The procedure for an ILS or Localizer with a procedure turn in a combined DFC90/430 system is the same as the straight-in procedures except that Heading mode should be used on the procedure turn. This is accomplished by pressing the “HDG” button on the autopilot control panel and then using the heading knob on the PFD. Command the heading bug to the outbound procedure turn heading. Hold that heading until the point at which it is time to turn inbound. Use the heading knob to select the inbound procedure turn heading, being careful to turn the heading knob in the same direction you wish the aircraft to turn. When established on the front inbound procedure turn heading, arm the NAV APPR modes by simultaneously pressing the “HDG” button and the “NAV” or “APPR” button.

It may be that you can't fly the procedure turn in GPSS with a non-WAAS 430.

[edited to remove loads of leading spaces from 1st line of quoted text, which triggers an unfortunate feature of the text processor here]

EGTK Oxford

Just a correction. I have been flying the Avidyne with DFC90 while now flying the Garmin Perspective with its own and different AP. I very much liked the DFC90 compared to the STEC55. All I can remember is that the auto-switching to pick up the ILS was working. Sorry that I cannot be of better or more help. :-)

EDLE, Netherlands

Jason, but it does fly the turn, both in NAV and in GPSS. But then it doesn't switch to VLOC, that's the only problem. If I press the LSK on the PFD and switch it from GPS1 to VLOC1 it works fine. But the switch never seems to happen.

Just read today that WAAS capability will become compulsory for IFR certification under EASA shortly. Which basically leads me now to abaondon my upgrade project, as this means nothing of my avionic other than the transponder and the ADF is usable anymore. I was betting on my 430 as it is 8.33 capable, but now I hear you need 2 of them and WAAS to boot.

Hope it's just again a scare tactic which won't materialize, but in the end, combined with the latest "on condition" rumours (no more on condition for anything in an IFR certified plane) i am starting to understand why they might even do the easier IR now... while they are attacking the airplanes from the other side.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

... Geez. I have been thinking about upgrading my two 430s to WAAS, that's $ 3395 plus VAT per unit plus new antenna plus 10 h of installation ...

And 50 pages of "engineering documentation" to be filed and approved by EASA i am sure.

I have only one GNS430 and asked for an estimate on what I had to add to my panel is required to be IFR certified new next year and got this info: 2x WAAS GPS 2x 8.33 com (the 430 of course has that but is obsolete) 2 axis approach capable AP HSI

rough estimate 40-50k Euros. Needless to say, the airframe value AFTER installation of all these goodies will be about 25 k.

There will also be a VERY rude awakening for a LOT of people who run older equipment, their IFR certification days are numbered. Probably not immediately, there might be a grace period, but eventually, that is what the story will be. And once you did all this, they wil come up with the next requirement... may I guess? 2 way ADS-B?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message