Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus with DFC90 and GNS430 (non WAAS) anybody?

So the approach IS ACTIVATE after that? Sorry, don't get it!

No, if you are direct to a point IN the approach you don't have to activate.

EGTK Oxford

Copied!

If you activate the approach on the G430, you active a direct to the Initial approach fix (IAF). If you are already past that point, then the autopilot will turn you around to fly back to the IAF. If you are not yet past the IAF, the activation will turn the aircraft on a direct to the IAF.

However, you don't need to activate the approach. Just load it. When cleared for the approach, you CAN activate it to fly directly to the IAF or you can activate the next leg in the approach. If you get vectors, then you can activate that.

It is essential that you understand how this part works. The DFC90 will only go to Loc mode when about to intercept the localizer and when the approach button is activated.

There are a few good resources for figuring out how this all works. One of the best sources is the Max Trescott books you can find here:

Another good source is: Subscribe to the G1000 IFR course, and you will figure and find out a lot of the tricks.

EDLE, Netherlands

Aeroplus, thank you I knew that (by the way I have Avidyne, not G1000/Perspective. The Perspective A/P is the DFC700). And you cannot use the APPR button, you can only use GPSS or NAV, APPR will come on automatically, if it does that is. But there is no way to actually press APPR from GPSS or Nav. It is NOT the DFC90 that goes to VLOC mode by the way, it is the GNS430 - which is the source of the data.

+1 for Flying Like The Pros video course it is good. Why can't you use the APPR button? I don't get that.

EGTK Oxford

On the DFC90 the APPR button can only be used directly for VOR Approaches, not for ILS or Loc where APPR is activated automatically form NAV mode. i think you can only press HGD+APPR or NAV+APPR ... but since i am confused i am not sure about anything anymore ...

Alexis, you can press APPCH. Can I suggest you download the latest dfc 90 guide. While not perfect, it is clear. I would always arm APP with one of the other modes, but there were circumstances when you press on its own.

EGTK Oxford

Sorry, but with the ILS it does not work in my plane. I do have the latest guide and the latest DFC90 version R2.

Sign in to add your message