Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Can any kind of IR ever be added to the LAPL?

To this day LAPL is almost exclusively something the elders get to fly a few years longer

Same for the UK NPPL, though it is rather more than a “few years”.

Can anyone quickly summarise the LAPL medical concessions? From speaking to people casually over the years, the impression is that they are in most case negligible, in the context of what usually leads people to lose their medical.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

You can’t land with the EIR unless conditions are very obviously VFR

Sure, but Bathman wasn’t talking about IFR landings.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

In what sense is what you describe not the EIR?

Indeed that is exactly what the EIR was intended to be. The problem is the disproportionate cost benefit.

Last Edited by bookworm at 05 Sep 19:14

The original question on including a BIR in a LAPL is addressed in NPA 2016-14. [ local copy ] The new rule FCL.835(b) states: Prerequisites. Applicants for the BIR shall hold at least a PPL(A).

Last Edited by Qalupalik at 05 Sep 20:10
London, United Kingdom

Qalupalik wrote:

he original question on including a BIR in a LAPL is addressed in NPA 2016-14. [ local copy ] The new rule FCL.835(b) states: Prerequisites. Applicants for the BIR shall hold at least a PPL(A).

That was the proposal that was sent out for consultation, not the final decision.

Peter wrote:

Same for the UK NPPL, though it is rather more than a “few years”.

Can anyone quickly summarise the LAPL medical concessions? From speaking to people casually over the years, the impression is that they are in most case negligible, in the context of what usually leads people to lose their medical.

One is 11 pages, another 9 .. The differences seem to be in minor details- for example LAPL allows pacemaker if evaluation is successful and Class 2 allows it with 4 specific conditions..

AMC local copy

EETU, Estonia

Airbourne_Again

Most of these hobby pilots spend the majority of their time flying in class G. Maybe the odd amount of class D

To get an EIR in my case I have to travel over 100 miles to the nearest ATO and that doesn’t even have approval to teach for the EIR!

You have to have passed at least the IR TK. The only aircraft my nearest ATO has is a Piper Seneca. I suspect part of the training will be in Class A airways. Plus the flight test will set them back cica 1500 quid.

Your talking about guys who spend a few hundred quid a month on flying. The EIR will cost them a lifetimes flying budget for minimal flying relevance.

Now could someone tell me what’s involved for a sailplane pilot to get a cloud rating. And a little bit about what it allows them to do because I’m sure this would fill their requirements.

Last Edited by Bathman at 06 Sep 06:44

In the UK, an IMCR holder can fly in Class G, and Class D if he gets a transit, IMC, VMC, whatever, so any extra papers are just for Class A, but Class A is avoidable for all trips except where it places you in bad wx (I had some “memorable” Shoreham-Oban trips). So the demand for any “full IR” will always be low unless people want to fly abroad, and longer trips cost too much for most people.

And the unspoken thing is that you can do the same everywhere else. The UK just has an advantage in that ~50 years of the “IMCR culture”, and very few mountains, means a lot of people have the capability – legal or not.

And almost nobody is doing the LAPL – anywhere in Europe – it seems.

As regards the general accessibility of the “IR” this has all been done to death before. Little has changed in 10-20 years. The last big things were the 700hr route (ended ~20 years ago – most “old CAA IRs” used that route) and then the ICAO IR to CB IR conversion which makes FAA IR to EASA IR a lot easier because it skips the exams.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Bathman wrote:

Your talking about guys who spend a few hundred quid a month on flying. The EIR will cost them a lifetimes flying budget for minimal flying relevance.

Now I don’t follow. You said that a “cloud rating” was needed — one that allowed you to punch through some clouds or ascend/descent through a layer. That’s exactly what the EIR allows you to do, so I don’t see why it should have minimal relevance.

The amount of training required is a different thing. I agree with you on that count.

Peter wrote:

And almost nobody is doing the LAPL – anywhere in Europe – it seems.

Since last year my club is advertising LAPL as the main pilot license. As we gain experience, it will be interesting to see how many people actually get a LAPL and how many choose the PPL or get one anyway by having to train substantially more than 30 hours.

Sign in to add your message