Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Attitude vs Rate Based Autopilots and 2 axis / 3 axis?

Mooney_Driver wrote:

I am not sure you can. Certainly the G1000 with the GFC700 system is not retrofitable. The Avidyne DFC90 system needs an existing S-Tec 55×.

Not entirely true. Being retrofitted to CitationJets. Just a question of cost and someone having an STC.

EGTK Oxford

The whole G1000? or just the AP with another Garmin cockpit?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

The whole G1000? or just the AP with another Garmin cockpit?

The whole thing.

EGTK Oxford

Interesting. I thought it was OEM only.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Some companies (typically manufacturers of the airplane) have the right to retrofit G1000. Provided it is part of their current standard product and provided Garmin like them.

An example where it is a problem is the JetProp Malibu conversion. The current piston Malibus come with G1000 but Garmin does not like JetProp and they make sure the G1000 Malibus cannot be converted to turbine aircraft. The Avidyne Malibus are the last ones convertible which means that with so many airframes already converted, the JetProp business model appears to be coming to an end.

Peter keeps saying the glass cockpit vendors “got you over a barrel” and that’s a good example where they do.

They also have you over the barrel when it comes to sorting out issues away from a dealer. The G500 and above cannot be worked on without the confidential dealer codes. It’s not much of an issue in the USA where there is a Garmin dealer on every corner…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Interesting. I thought it was OEM only.

Well, AFAIK it’s “OEM only” in the sense that they are only interested in selling the equipment to OEMs. But they don’t mind if the OEM retrofits it. For example, Diamond offers GFC700 retrofit. If the market is large enough, Garmin might offer the retrofit (STC) themselves (I guess the retrofit itself is then done by authorized Garmin dealer) – I think G5000 upgrade for Beechjet is an example, but there might have been cooperation with the (ex-)manufacturer (but it shows it doesn’t have to be in current production with the suite). I can’t think of any exceptions. Behind the CJ option is, if I’m not mistaken, Cessna and Garmin, so not an exception.

Peter wrote:

The G500 and above cannot be worked on without the confidential dealer codes.

What do you mean by “worked on”? Are you saying that you cannot replace LRU without some confidential code?

I don’t know about the LRU but a Garmin dealer did once explain to me that any significant work on a G500 requires special codes or passwords.

The GTN750 can be user-configured and I know a pilot who has done it. The installation manuals are “out there”. But the IMs don’t help with a G500 because you can’t get into it in the first place. I don’t have one so have no actual details, and I would not buy a G500 for that reason alone (the G500 failure on a Greek island scenario).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I don’t have one so have no actual details, and I would not buy a G500 for that reason alone (the G500 failure on a Greek island scenario).

If I had a G500 failure on a Greek island and a config change was required, I am 100% sure my avionics company would walk me through the steps on the phone and if hardware was required, they would express mail a loaner unit within hours after I ask them for it. However, I can’t imagine avionics keeping me stuck.

The only reason I chose Aspen over G500 was the cost and the amount of work required to reshuffle the panel. In hindsight Aspen also gave me the wonderful DFC90 autopilot option which I could not have installed with a G500 and would be stuck with crappy S-TEC

Last Edited by achimha at 07 Oct 08:40

Frankly, I don’t believe everything dealers say. It would be pretty stupid. Like having a maintenance program that basically requires you to use a particular facility – potential disaster. And I’m not sure what exactly the dealer meant by those words. It’s like he was trying to deter you.

One would have to dive into this. AFAIK Garmin offers service contracts and will send you a replacement LRU. A mechanic (if not the owner/ pilot) should be able to replace it. Configuration is a different matter. But what failures would lead to that? And would it actually ground you (either because of regulations or your personal limits)? Significant questions, I would say. As you seem to be inquisitive, I’m surprised you don’t have more details.

I’m with achimha, maintenance/ avionics shop with good customer service and a good relationship with them can help. As can having some kind of AOG response service – which is, admittedly, not common in light GA. Factory fit/ retrofit could be advantageous as well.

Sign in to add your message