Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Approach plates that show OCA/OCH - are they safe?

Marsen wrote:

We have lots of plans for further improvements to our IFR support, such as automatic DH and RVR calculations for most approaches; something we have already successfully trialled. Our ultimate goal is that SkyDemon is the only app and document source you need for light IFR in Europe
Seems like they never got around to this?

I think the feature was aimed at those without a Jepp subscription. Does anyone know if it’s in the works at all?

Not many people are aware that you could place the Jepp PDFs

But how do you get PDFs (let alone with georef data) from a Jepp application? I know how to get PDFs (I am not going to post it openly, and you can’t get a whole airport from an IOS app) but georef?

What more do you need for light IFR

What is “light IFR”? You are either IFR (with everything that involves) or not

BTW, “liftvectorup” was the old equivalent of today’s chatgpt and was eventually removed

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I was asking specifically in relation to the automatic RVR/ DA calculations feature they claim to have successfully trialed in a newsletter from 2018 as above.

gallois wrote:

I think with a Jeppesen subscription you can link to their charts

Not many people are aware that you could place the Jepp PDFs (or any other geo-referenced PDFs for that matter) into the corresponding folders on SD device and get geo-referenced plates.

EGTR

Skydemon does have airways and access to national IAPs plus I think with a Jeppesen subscription you can link to their charts.
What more do you need for light IFR, especially as most of the work is done by the panel mounted GPS system and its database?

France

liftvectorup wrote:

We have lots of plans for further improvements to our IFR support, such as automatic DH and RVR calculations for most approaches; something we have already successfully trialled. Our ultimate goal is that SkyDemon is the only app and document source you need for light IFR in Europe

Seems like they never got around to this?

After their vigorous reluctance to do anything “IFR” in years past, SD are clearly pushed into action by Garmin Pilot, and now Foreflight putting in a huge amount of resources to cover Europe. It’s going to be a big effort though because the AIP data is not machine-readable.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes the latest public release of SkyDemon has Georeferenced instrument approach plates. The SkyDemon newsletter that came out yesterday states

If you haven’t noticed. SkyDemon are adding atlot IFR features now, such georeferenced AIP-plates etc.

Read somewhere that they will add automatic calculation of DH/MDA in the near future.

Very interesting development!

ESOW Västerås, Sweden

I was looking for the Jeppesen summary on aerodrome operating minima (AOM) and found it here:

http://ww1.jeppesen.com/company/publications/documents/ATC_EASA_AIR_OPS.pdf local copy

These are excerpts from the EASA easy-access rules which I had referenced earlier up in the thread. The ones that Jeppesen is referencing are the Part-CAT ones for commercial air transport. For most GA fliers, Part-NCC or Part-NCO ones apply and are most likely (I have done a comparison) equally or less restrictive than the Part-CAT ones.

Jeppesen uses the Part-CAT requirements for the IAP charts.

Section 10 is a good summary of the requirements for CAT I and non-precision summaries.

Wolfgang

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom
33 Posts
Sign in to add your message