Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to create georeferenced PDFs from a Jepp application

10 Posts

From here

Peter wrote:

Not many people are aware that you could place the Jepp PDFs

But how do you get PDFs (let alone with georef data) from a Jepp application? I know how to get PDFs (I am not going to post it openly, and you can’t get a whole airport from an IOS app) but georef?

I think those that you extract from Jepp are geo-referenced.

EGTR

How do you extract those?

Under IOS you cannot print a whole airport, only 1 page at a time (and then combine the PDFs or whatever).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

How do you extract those?

Under IOS you cannot print a whole airport, only 1 page at a time (and then combine the PDFs or whatever).

Yes, you need one page per file! Otherwise geo-referencing doesn’t work.
Not sure how to do it from iOS – I think person that told me about the method was using a PC.

EGTR

Yes – I know about that too but Jepp say they are going to “sunset” (a horrible fashionable marketing expression) their non IOS products.

Administrator

arj1 wrote:

Not many people are aware that you could place the Jepp PDFs (or any other geo-referenced PDFs for that matter) into the corresponding folders on SD device and get geo-referenced plates.

I have done that and the Jepp PDF shows in the user documents but it is not georeferenced so I guess I must be doing something wrong

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Peter_Mundy wrote:

Not many people are aware that you could place the Jepp PDFs (or any other geo-referenced PDFs for that matter) into the corresponding folders on SD device and get geo-referenced plates.

I have done that and the Jepp PDF shows in the user documents but it is not georeferenced so I guess I must be doing something wrong

Sorry, as I don’t have any Jepp access, then unable to actually resolve it…

Peter wrote:

Yes – I know about that too but Jepp say they are going to “sunset” (a horrible fashionable marketing expression) their non IOS products.

Allegedly, there should be some browser access?
Or do they disable that as well?!

EGTR

Just been playing with this. I don’t have a Jepp product on IOS but I do have on a PC.

This describes it a bit.

I’ve just tried to generate a single page PDF from the old Flitestar but the file disappears somewhere on the PC and I can’t find it. Maybe it is not even being created. But Adobe PDF is a crap piece of software; normally I use something like CutePDF which has proper config.

The “browser access” is something that exists for airline pilots. It is some other Jepp product which the “great unwashed” don’t know anything about But I know from others that you can just print stuff off it, one airport at a time.

Administrator

Has anyone managed to do this?

There are special techniques e.g. to get a Word doc to a PDF with a clickable TOC is a real job. The only way I found was to Export to a PDF. None of the “printer” methods seem to work.

Administrator

I don’t know if it helps, but you might look here.-

It seems that one key piece of needed info is three elements on the map with known geo coordinates, such as a VOR or IFR waypoint, etc, and it’s a rather involved process.

Last Edited by chflyer at 15 Dec 15:57
LSZK, Switzerland

Interesting.

To georef a “rectangular” projection (Mercator) map you should need only 2 points, bottom left and top right, or similar.

They are clearly storing the coordinates in one of the PDF information fields; there are many (e.g. copyright holder). It’s a bit like EXIF for Jpegs and such.

Does anyone have an example PDF file which works in FF?

Administrator
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message