Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Approach plates that show OCA/OCH - are they safe?

I would be surprised if many IR(R)-only pilots invest in Jepp

No, but many more have friends in low places

there are not that many airfields in the UK with instrument approaches which are normally used by light aircraft

Probably true taking GA as a whole (some 95-99% VFR) but otherwise I would not agree. Shoreham, Lydd and Biggin are just two cases near me where there is a lot of light GA doing IFR.

Worryingly, I also come across some IR(R) holders who fail to understand minima calculations and seem to think 500/600’ is a blanket figure, oblivious to the terrain specific figures of the actual approach

Would I be right in saying that an IMCR holder who uses Jepp plates can fly down to the minima on them legally, except the 1800m min vis?

I know about the 50ft add-on stuff but also I know several FTO guys who tell me that is a UK FTO industry invention to improve pass rates, which are (or used to be) published by the CAA and are a key factor is bringing in customers.

AFAICT the whole “professional” world flies with Jepp plates and they fly down to the minima exactly as it is written on the plate. That figure already includes margins, done IAW TERPS or PAN-OPS or whatever.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

AFAICT the whole “professional” world flies with Jepp plates and they fly down to the minima exactly as it is written on the plate. That figure already includes margins, done IAW TERPS or PAN-OPS or whatever.

Nope, they fly down to the criteria prescribed in their Ops Manual. This may well be a straight lift from Jepp but they still need to jump through the hoops (temp corrections, altimeter errors etc).. The issue become more apparent when deciding take-off minima with many companies imposing a minimum cloudbase/visibility, above the minimum requirement.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Shoreham, Lydd and Biggin are just two cases

Indeed they are exactly that (within a margin of error) but I don’t see what you are arguing. Most pilots go to a relatively limited number of IFR airfields in the UK, of which you have nominated, er, two, few enough to remember the minima calculations, and therefore use the AIP plates. If you fly all over Europe, especially at short notice, and need to self brief enroute, the consistent Jepp format and pre-calculated Jepp minima are a boon, worth paying something for.

EGKB Biggin Hill

I was looking for the Jeppesen summary on aerodrome operating minima (AOM) and found it here:

http://ww1.jeppesen.com/company/publications/documents/ATC_EASA_AIR_OPS.pdf local copy

These are excerpts from the EASA easy-access rules which I had referenced earlier up in the thread. The ones that Jeppesen is referencing are the Part-CAT ones for commercial air transport. For most GA fliers, Part-NCC or Part-NCO ones apply and are most likely (I have done a comparison) equally or less restrictive than the Part-CAT ones.

Jeppesen uses the Part-CAT requirements for the IAP charts.

Section 10 is a good summary of the requirements for CAT I and non-precision summaries.

Wolfgang

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

If you haven’t noticed. SkyDemon are adding atlot IFR features now, such georeferenced AIP-plates etc.

Read somewhere that they will add automatic calculation of DH/MDA in the near future.

Very interesting development!

ESOW Västerås, Sweden

Yes the latest public release of SkyDemon has Georeferenced instrument approach plates. The SkyDemon newsletter that came out yesterday states

We have lots of plans for further improvements to our IFR support, such as automatic DH and RVR calculations for most approaches; something we have already successfully trialled. Our ultimate goal is that SkyDemon is the only app and document source you need for light IFR in Europe

After their vigorous reluctance to do anything “IFR” in years past, SD are clearly pushed into action by Garmin Pilot, and now Foreflight putting in a huge amount of resources to cover Europe. It’s going to be a big effort though because the AIP data is not machine-readable.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

liftvectorup wrote:

We have lots of plans for further improvements to our IFR support, such as automatic DH and RVR calculations for most approaches; something we have already successfully trialled. Our ultimate goal is that SkyDemon is the only app and document source you need for light IFR in Europe

Seems like they never got around to this?

Skydemon does have airways and access to national IAPs plus I think with a Jeppesen subscription you can link to their charts.
What more do you need for light IFR, especially as most of the work is done by the panel mounted GPS system and its database?

France

gallois wrote:

I think with a Jeppesen subscription you can link to their charts

Not many people are aware that you could place the Jepp PDFs (or any other geo-referenced PDFs for that matter) into the corresponding folders on SD device and get geo-referenced plates.

EGTR
Sign in to add your message