Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aosta LIMW fly-in mid February 2022, and ski to somewhere near by

Beautiful pic of the river Po estuary, Emir!

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Leaving Aosta today.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

This time we went to some different parts of Cervinia:

The wx for the return flight to the UK looks a lot better now in terms of cloud tops but the FL100 wind has now gone up to 77kt which will be almost headwind in NE France IME wind doesn’t drop much at lower levels and would be pretty similar at say 5000ft.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Frozen lake and ski slopes

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

The situation for eastward flying back is better but it’s also hard to forecast next week. I think I’ll fly back on Sunday afternoon rather than waiting to see how the weather is getting worse.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

A super flight in super wx

I had to cancel the TB20 flight because next week’s wx (for the return flight to the UK) looks bad, every day looks worse than the previous one, and there is no end in sight. Windy.com is consistent on very strong winds at say FL100 (~60-70kt headwind component) and is showing some strange situations which are hard to interpret e.g. rain but very low cloud tops, etc. So we are going by Easyjet

These things happen, although infrequently. Venice 2019 was the last one. Statistically harder in the winter, perhaps, although the European mainland has had a few summers when it was totally covered by TS almost every day. OTOH almost all of Jan 2022 was CAVOK all the way to low earth orbit which is rare

We went to Grindelwald / Wengen and while it was super scenic, and nice for non-skiers, I would not rate the skiing. My recollection is of miles of 5m wide runs full of people standing around – like so many “big name” resorts actually. Skiing is a huge multi-billion business and every mountain village which gets enough snow to create some “runs” has done so, to cash in on a slice of the action. So some locations are way better than others, and IMHO for intermediate skiers nobody does it like the Italians who seem to have landscaped the runs first.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Landed at LIMW and I can confirm extreme CAVOK for today and tomorrow. For the following days it’s hard to say because the forecast is constantly changing with recent one predicting some snow on Friday and CAVOK on Saturday and Sunday.

Unfortunately this trip won’t turn in to fly-in because nobody confirmed and it seems I’m the only EuroGA member who’ll land here this week.

Last Edited by Emir at 09 Feb 14:04
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

The forecast changes every day but it seems that Saturday and Sunday will be perfect (same as Wednesday and Thursday) while Friday will require earlier arrival. Monday and Tuesday should be ok for departure, as well as Sunday. It seems that only Peter and I committed for the event but I still hope someone will join us with last minute decision.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Yes, March is very nice there too! La Thuile is quite more of a cozy mountain village, compared with Cervinia (it still offers ski-in, ski-out though). I’m however not sure if there are many alternative attractions available for non-skiers, but they do have winter hiking trails and nice bars / restaurants. For a non-skiing girlfriend, I would suggest flying to LSZB and take a hotel in Grindelwald, Wengen or Mürren. The Jungfrau Region has quite a lot to offer for non-skiers as well. Maybe the best skiing area I know for non-skiers, including one of world’s most stunning scenery.

Last Edited by Frans at 06 Feb 15:06
Switzerland
83 Posts
Sign in to add your message