Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aosta LIMW fly-in mid February 2022, and ski to somewhere near by

Peter wrote:

And, mostly, the Swiss Alps are for black run skiers.

Huh? Hell no. I’ve gone down a black slope maybe once in the 30 years I used to ski. All the places I’ve been to have blue and red runs. Davos, Arosa, Flumserberg, e.t.c.

Altenrhein LSZR is not too far from some skiing arenas as well, both in Austria and in Switzerland and Liechtenstein. (Hohenems being a bit closer to some, Bad Ragaz even closer but really small runway)

Sion is great in all respects, super airport, plenty of space, loads of ski runs all over the place in the Valais.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Oh you do? Congrats! So what die you end up buying? The A36 you were trying to get a pre buy on?

Well, the A36 got some serious thoughts on it, but I withdrew when I got some really low compression numbers from the engine tests (in the 40ies), plus quite some work to do. At the end, a french guy (afaik) bought it.
Nah, I ended up going for a modest PA-28-180 which is in the process of being put into a more modern and clean state: New engine, overhauled prop, new anticorrosion treatment, new autopilot, new interiors and carpets. All in all, it meets the requirement of getting around with family while still being pretty economical (even with the Mogas STC). Won’t get me any retractable time or high-performance thrills, but I think it’s a better start into ownership after all :)

LOWI,LIPB, Italy

@lukepower congratulations the Cherokee 180 is a great bird👍

Have you posted pictures on another thread?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

@Emir thank you will study the VFR sectional

RobertL18C wrote:

Have you posted pictures on another thread?

Nah, will do once the bird is ready to fly again :)

LOWI,LIPB, Italy

Peter wrote:

In practice one cancels IFR in the mountains. Coming from the north, Swiss ATC force you to anyway, by saying IFR cannot be below FL160 (FL180 in places).

Have you tried saying – I can assure my own separation? Always works for me.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

I think you should watch some of my videos with Swiss ATC interaction on them I think they treat “locals” very differently. Same as the French military. ~100% no-go for me.

Back to the topic, I think the two most GA-friendly places are Aosta LIMW and Sion LSGS, but from looking at this lots of times, the Swiss slopes are much more hard-core, or just basically not very good, despite excellent “spouse activity” (shopping) options.

Apart from Bosco I can think of only one GA pilot who is a really good skier, and he isn’t on EuroGA.

I am not organising this fly-in; it will be Emir My vote is for Aosta → Cervinia or Monte Rosa.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Apart from Bosco I can think of only one GA pilot who is a really good skier, and he isn’t on EuroGA.

Can’t claim to be that great but I used to amuse the Austrians with my vintage 200cm RC4s, in fact I was offered €1k for them ten years ago! They are still looking good in their fifth decade.

@RobertL18C: my father would have offered you a nail and a Driller “to Drill a hole and hang them on the wall” :)

LOWI,LIPB, Italy

I thought you noted my quality

Last Edited by Emir at 23 Jan 17:31
LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message