Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SR22 operating costs

How did the 10k chute job rise to 25k? That’s 2.5k/year.

Slowly over many years, although the last few years has seen a steeper rate – like a lot of products post covid it seems.

EGLL, EGLF, EGLK, United Kingdom

the inspection revealed that a part of the nosegear had a small crack

Interestingly we did a bit of that earlier in this thread and I got into “some trouble” because one owner (who doesn’t fly anymore) would not give me permission to post evidence of what he had been paying. So I am glad to hear it properly now.

How did the 10k chute job rise to 25k? That’s 2.5k/year.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Mine averages 6.5 under FAA with a Cirrus authorised shop, but there is a lot to be said in having that sort organisation being you when you need it. It also makes a lot of difference when one comes to sell. With the hours I do plus a bit of oil and TKS it’s about £40 an hour. For a machine that took three big lads with a lot of gear from Inverness to Norwich in two hours ten yesterday using 125 litres of Avgas that seems pretty good to me. Here’s some pictures from the hill. The specially adapted landing craft is awesome.

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

Xlr8tr wrote:

Is this based on personal experience?

Partly, yes. Although not 25k, my last two annuals were well above 10k. In one case, the inspection revealed that a part of the nosegear had a small crack. In the other case, some part in the rudder had a small crack. Both leading to costly replacements of airframe parts. I am not savvy enough to challenge the shop which was saying that these cacks are an airworthiness issue, nor was I interested in having the aircraft grounded for weeks. At least the aircraft in kept is tip-top shape. It is well possible that other shops don’t even spot these things.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 21 Aug 13:11
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I feel with you. Unfortunately, as SRxxs get older, 25k invoices for annuals and associated repairs do happen. Not just when the chute is due (which is now about 25k alone).

Is this based on personal experience?
The previous four annuals on my 2006 SR22 have been less than 5K and this last one was £5.5K as the line cutters on the chute needed replacing.
In five years of ownership I have found it to be a very low maintenance aircraft.

EGLL, EGLF, EGLK, United Kingdom

Incredible.

The power of Cirrus dealerships.

Administrator

I feel with you. Unfortunately, as SRxxs get older, 25k invoices for annuals and associated repairs do happen. Not just when the chute is due (which is now about 25k alone).

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

From here

I spent the weekend looking at my annual invoice, the fin repair invoice, and the estimate for the fuel pump that decided to break just as I was planning to pick up the plane from maintenance.

I also had time to wonder (and feel pity for myself) why I got so unlucky over the last two months and £25k poorer.

:)

[ context ]

EGSU, United Kingdom

Peter the Cirrus nose gear (like most other aircraft) can be damaged by a heavy/nose first landing but it is a very rare occurrence, the vast majority of the fleet are still running their original part. If your ‘friend’ is replacing this item every two years then it’s not the design or manufacturing that needs looking at.

@Xlr8tr

The guy in question – who would not give me permission to post the pic below, due to warranty politics, enabling me to take a load of flak – has got out of flying some time ago.

Apparently this was quite a common problem in the UK. A few k £ each time.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

If somebody found a way to prevent turbo engines cracking cylinders, by adjusting this “device”, that would be most interesting to many.

That would be interesting to figure out

Peter wrote:

I very much doubt it because to get the CHT down even more than is the case under the normal adjustment, the engine would be so rich it won’t be making much power.

But if too rich to generate power it will be too rich to generate heat, so problem solved

In my experience, CHTs in climb are very sensitive to a simple drop of RPM from 2700rpm to 2600rpm and increasing ASI by 10kts than 1GPH from the mixture but for a full power takeoff that 1GPH may make some difference

Of course some pilots still fly steep VX climbs on full power with the yaw ball sitting in the right corner even when it’s 20G30 headwinds and 5km runway

Last Edited by Ibra at 20 Aug 09:49
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
287 Posts
Sign in to add your message