Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SR22 operating costs

Haha! I like that one. Me too, buy the way … (but i gave the other plane to a new-PPL-friend who has to maintain and pay for it. Just couldn’t sell it …).

The … camshaft … should be re-usable if it is a first OH.

Good luck with that. Given how problematic Lycoming camshafts are, I wouldn’t try to reuse it… And they’re relatively cheap compared to the whole overhaul…

Engine removal/replacement is 2 days’ labour.

Replacement alone was two times that. Ok some additional things were done, such as replacing some hoses, but still…

LSZK, Switzerland

My engine was done 2x (once for the shock load in 2002, once for the crank swap in 2008) and each time it took 1 day to remove and 1 day to replace. The shop had the help of a hundred or more photos I took of the original installation, so they didn’t have to mess about making things fit.

From the quote:

If the camshaft is in spec, why not re-use it? Mine was within new limits at the 800hr point, after all.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

If the camshaft is in spec, why not re-use it? Mine was within new limits at the 800hr point, after all.

Because it’s the weakest point of a Lycoming and it will have lost lobe material after 800h. I would never agree to splitting a Lycoming and putting it together with the same camshaft.

I wrote “If the camshaft is in spec, why not re-use it?”

If it is shagged then it won’t be in spec.

The cam followers prob99 won’t be in spec. They weren’t at 800hrs…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I wrote “If the camshaft is in spec, why not re-use it?”

Because the spec very likely doesn’t include limits for the thickness of the hardened part of the lobe, and the overhaul shop very likely doesn’t have the capability to measure it, or to measure the smoothness of the cam lobe surface.

I know a plane whose owners overhauled their engine, the cam shaft was within spec, and after 600 hours or so they could split it again to replace the camshaft…

LSZK, Switzerland

FWIW Mike Bush advocates to not replace the crankshaft at overhaul…

LFPT, LFPN

Aviathor wrote:

FWIW Mike Bush advocates to not replace the crankshaft at overhaul…

Crankshaft is not camshaft.

I would never agree to splitting a Lycoming and putting it together with the same camshaft.

Maybe but there seem to be lemons among new camshafts so the old part at least ran ok for many hours while a new part might be total junk. Very sad we have come to this point…

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Martin wrote:

Crankshaft is not camshaft. 

Oh oh. I misread that.

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message