Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The PERFECT two seater local plane for the modern age.

Peter wrote:

n one of the “uncertified IFR” threads I posted the UK LAA “analysis” (from some consultant by the looks of it) regarding lightning as a negligible risk and this was a requirement to get the UK LAA IFR programme going and including non-metal planes.

Quite possibly, but AFAIU it is one of the IFR requirements in CS-23 and I don’t think EASA would issue a TC with IFR on it unless the airframe met those requirements.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The “great thing” about VFR is that ATC can always say NO and this is the enabler for VFR deregulation. Other hoped-for deregulation enablers are persistently identified incorrectly. With IFR, they can’t say NO (in practice); you have the implicit whole-route clearance, and this kicks up masses of dirt in the “corridors of power”, starting with airline pilot and ATC unions. Of course none of them say so openly. In the US you don’t have this problem.

Yes, that’s correct. In a situation where any aircraft can go almost anywhere VFR, there’s little motivation to make up excuses to restrict any aircraft to VFR operation. In the US it is generally unnecessary to talk to ATC at all, to go almost anywhere under VFR. If you must it is generally only to operate from a specific airport along your route. And if you want to talk to ATC you’ll be talking to the same people anyway whether IFR or VFR, so the flight rules have little impact on ATC or anybody else.

Fun fact: I’ve had a new Garmin GTX transponder since 2019 and in my travels since then have yet to squawk any code except VFR, file any flight plan or use en route ATC in any capacity over the roughly 4 year period. ADS-B IN has been a big benefit in this regard. All I have to do is stay away from clouds and it’s no problem given good weather in my area. For me this is flying, as opposed to game playing.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Feb 17:15

Peter wrote:

and this kicks up masses of dirt in the “corridors of power”, starting with airline pilot and ATC unions

Why exactly? Why would they even bother?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

Peter wrote: and this kicks up masses of dirt in the “corridors of power”, starting with airline pilot and ATC unions

Why exactly? Why would they even bother?

In the UK?
“IR is for the big boys only!”
“We had to learn and to all this crap, so you have to as well”
etc, etc…
I’ve asked UK CAA GA Policy team if it would allowed to fly in the airways for the IRR holder in the whole UK, not just Scotland&England@FL200+ (maybe after introduction of some extra familiarisation), but the answer was “it will NOT happen”.

EGTR

All of Europe actually – same “elitist IR” policy. Done this many times…

“Airways” is a completely confusing term, btw. Best to drop it completely. That also gets you out of the “Can a PPL fly in French airways” which is a frequent dumb question (they are Class E up to FL119, Class D above that, VFR banned in much of the D, etc) It is the airspace class that is relevant. The UK has some Class D routes (which somebody might call “airways”) which can be flown on the IMCR but they are short.

I don’t think EASA would issue a TC with IFR on it unless the airframe met those requirements.

I am sure that’s true, otherwise we would have it by now. Pipistrel would certainly be pushing on that door, because sales of “plastic planes” (some of which feel like you could push a finger through) to FTOs would rocket.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Back to topic.

Buckerfan wrote:

This is my wishlist:
1. Only need two seats, more is OK, but only need two.
2. Useful load min 500 lbs. Two adults plus a little luggage
3. Great views, and shelter from the sun in flight – a high wing like the cub?
4. Range – only need two to three hours max – 250 NM.
5. Speed, would be nice to do little more than the Cub (which is 60 ktas on a good day!)
6. Very comfortable on grass runways – a tailwheel is just fine.
7. AND HERE IS THE BIG ONE – NOT an AVGAS BURNER. I want to be ready for a post leaded avgas world. So I guess that means Jet A powered or a rotax engine (Mogas – is that right?). I know the square root of SFA about small aircraft that burn these fuels. So education would be greatly appreciated.

Any of the Pipistrel “Velis variants” would actually fit just perfect. The EASA certified Explorer/Club probably best if UL’s in France Switzerland is a problem.

1. Check
2. 500 lbs +
3. Perfect views, better than in a Cub, and high wing
4. Lots and lots of range (2*50 l tanks)
5. Max cruise is 130 knots. Will also cruise just fine at 70 knots for that matter and barely sip fuel.
6. Flaps on these are more of a high lift device. Very little drag. But they have air brakes, so no problem. I have flown an older Alphatrainer a lot, and it has no air brake. Fly it like a Cub and sideslip, and you can get it down anywhere. They did eventually mount airbrakes on the Alphatrainer also. Probably recommended.
7. Rotax 912 with CS prop. Fuel is no issue, will run on anything from 95 mogas to 100LL.

These aircraft are not the easiest to fly. It takes some hours getting used to, but when you do, they are superb, highly maneouverable. It’s a real pilot’s aircraft. Flies happily all the way up to 18k feet for instance. They are fully aerobatic also, but not legally so. The downside is a small (low) cabin. Be sure to try one and see if you actually fit. Having a longer back than average is the main problem. Pipistrel was bought by Textron a couple of years ago. Spare parts and stuff is also very much top notch.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

The downside is a small (low) cabin. Be sure to try one and see if you actually fit. Having a longer back than average is the main problem.

Indeed. I looked at one in the past and did not fit in. @Buckerfan probably has a similar back length. Also I did not like the seat being almost at the same level as the floor, and thus sitting with almost straight legs.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

LeSving wrote:

Be sure to try one and see if you actually fit.

If I ever get to go back to the Aero I’ll give them another go. But like many other high BMI folks wandering, we usually get a sharp “NO!” if we show intents to try on one of those ULMs, probably for the good reason that they don’t want to see them collapse before the onlookers.

Fun thing: I recall from my army days how narrow the Hawker Hunter Cockpit was, and in my case that was 40 kgs ago. Recently I got the chance to sit in a Vampire and to my total amazement still fit (it is smaller than the Hunter). Now that would be a fun airplane to tour the Alps in. But most of them are single seaters and you need a well paved runway.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

The Pipistrels are nice aircraft and can carry a lot for their tiny size. I have flown the Virus with two POB (adults) and full tanks. But if you have doubts that you won’t fit, you won’t. The limit is 1,90 cm and 110 kg. That’s already pretty optimistic and even with 15 cm less I have hit my head on the main spar. There are other LSAs and ultra lights which have spacious cabins but they can only achieve this by sacrificing performance. That could well mean only 1 hour of fuel and a child as passenger.

EDQH, Germany

Gotta say IMHO that the Virus is a performing good looking little critter.
We have one on the field, and though I haven’t flown it myself, we happened to cross paths in the sky and I was surprised at its cruise performance… impressive.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message