Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which aircraft to buy? TB20 looks good, but...

Bugs?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Here and a link near the end of that.

It’s a new product…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yeah, but a maintained one, unlike the Sandia re-labelled as King (KI-300 / SAI-340A – FAA AD 2020-18-51). I’ll be the first in line to bash Garmin, but they are the least bad in actually delivering.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Peter wrote:

Here and a link near the end of that.

It’s a new product…

Wow this is an absolutely incredible story. I am also VERY amazed that he exceeded Vne by 70kts, landed and the airplane was put back into service with some minor repairs. That is quite incredible, I guess it speaks to how well these Mooneys were constructed.

It’s scary that you think you have two of these devices but then both of them can fail for the same reason.

The aircraft that is for sale with GI275 does have a backup vacuum AI on the copilot’s side, though having to lean over in an emergency where you lost HSI and ADI is far from ideal and is (in my mind) a recipe for loss of situational awareness if flying in the soup.

At the end of the day it’s just like vacuum instruments: you can lose them and in that case you’ve got to be prepared to fly on turn coordinator, altitude indicator/vsi and speedometer alone. One thing that can be said for the electronic indicators though is that they don’t fail silently in an insidious manner. I think this is really helpful.

Makes me wonder what traditional instruments the Mooney pilot had on board.

Another thing in the case of an emergency is you can install this app called “CockpitAid” if you have an Android phone and it basically creates an AI using your phone’s electronic gyro. At least you’ve got something extra to go on worse comes to worst.

United Kingdom

Parthurnax wrote:

Another thing in the case of an emergency is you can install this app called “CockpitAid” if you have an Android phone and it basically creates an AI using your phone’s electronic gyro. At least you’ve got something extra to go on worse comes to worst.

Yes, but you need to:
- Install software
- Practice using
- Have it at hand
- Remember (!) to use it in case of emergency. :)

EGTR

Parthurnax wrote:

you can install this app called “CockpitAid” if you have an Android phone

Thanks for that pointer. Looks cool, need to try it on an airplane.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Parthurnax wrote:

Just another AI is sufficient. There’s plenty of them for less than 3000€, you can even get an uncertified.

LFMD, France

Just surfing the thread drift

Had the same redundancy concerns on my steed, as I already had a surprising experience with my first G5. Adding a second one, though both are backup battery equipped, did not fulfill my criteria, and the reason I installed the AV-20S.
Also battery equipped, different manufacturer. The downside is a diminutive size, and an ADI function only (on top of timers, AOA, etc). But it could be one’s last card to play…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

If you are still looking for TB10s, here is a cheap and decent looking one.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

boscomantico30-Oct-23 20:04119
If you are still looking for TB10s, here is a cheap and decent looking one.

Looks very good to me! I would think this could be a good entry level machine.
I see it´s on G-reg, which is probably ideal for the OP.

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal
Sign in to add your message