Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Epic turboprop

Only FAA TC available so far, Google shows no EASA TCDS for Epic E1000

EGTR

Does that mean anything in reality? It means you cannot put one on EASA-reg, but who would really need to?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Does that mean anything in reality? It means you cannot put one on EASA-reg, but who would really need to?

Peter, your guess is a good as mine.

EGTR

Peter wrote:

Is assume any kind of AOC but the typical pilot owner probably does not care.

So far nobody was able to tell me what makes this E1000 so special? They claim amazing “performance” but looking at the numbers it is much like a TBM, ok FL340 but nothing really revolutionary. Do I miss something?

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

@Sebastian_G, couldn’t find it either – range is lower, max speed is lower, MTOW is higher. The only thing I found was ceiling for E1000 is FL340 vs FL310 on TBM.

EGTR
always learning
LO__, Austria

That video could have been 5 mins

So what is the bottom line?

Epic started off great 10 years ago with a powerful variant of the PT6, but Socata has largely caught up in the meantime.

Socata maintenance is very expensive, partly due to silly parts prices and partly due to a vast MM which has 100+ pages even for a routine service and you can be sure every maint shop will do every one of these (I know; I was hangared at a TBM/KA facility for 10 years) but probably anyone buying a new-ish TP doesn’t care about cost. It doesn’t matter if a plane like this costs 3M or 5M.

4000fpm is pretty good.

One would have to compare detailed specs.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Epic started off great 10 years ago with a powerful variant of the PT6, but Socata has largely caught up in the meantime.

This is also my impression. With such a streamlined fuselage etc. to really beat the established product it should have Cessna Mustang speeds. With the current numbers why not buy a pre owned TBM and be on the safe side with a proven product?

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

I watched the video. It’s like a TBM, but
6.6 cabin diff instead of 6.2, which allows 10000 ft cabin at F340 instead of F310.
G1000 instead of G3000,
Analog PT6 instead of FADEC
Four blade prop instead of composite 5
No emergency autoland

As for Socata maintenance being expensive, I disagree. It is a different class and can’t be compared to running a piston plane. I just had a new pitot installed on the Lear for $30k without labor. Missing the years of TBM ownership ;-)

LPFR, Poland

As for Socata maintenance being expensive, I disagree

What I was getting at is that Epic may have had an opportunity to shave some of the Socata cost. I wasn’t suggesting SEP levels of maint cost – that’s impossible just looking at any PT6 work.

A lot of TBM cost is IMHO excessive. So much pointless dismantling of stuff. Of course the dealers are happy I had a dig around this topic here but obviously nobody in the business would bite. I think anyone with a TBM just pays whatever the invoice is, and Epic want to support their dealers too.

There should be an opportunity to cut out the dealers (they offer little value; it is not a Merc, and a plane does fly after all) and offer direct service. But you won’t realise the benefits unless you go on Part 91. Maybe in the US, with the Epic pedigree of “homebuilt” (yeah… I know ) maybe somebody is doing it.

Jet parts are another level, sure. A friend who flies Lears sent me a pic of some little displacement transducer (flap position) and asked me to guess the cost. Even knowing where the trap was rigged, I was out by 5x

Administrator
Sign in to add your message