Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Epic turboprop

Sure, however, 1200hp vs 850hp is what explains 4000fpm vs 2855fpm?

Yes off course, initial climb and high density alt airfields will favor the epic, but it’s not really an issue as it is for the TBM, and once up they’ll have the same performance.

always learning
LO__, Austria

I’d not be surprised if most of the parts for the key components come from the same suppliers.

The PT6 accessories, for sure. Everything else is “airframe parts”. Same with the TB20, etc. and this is an area where huge maint cost savings are made, if one does it right. Most TP owners will just use a company which performs the whole MM schedule regardless of need.

The parts from the factory in Tarbes, especially the machined airframe ones, are renowned to be of utmost build quality

They are, and you would expect it at the price. I was hangared in a TBM/KA maint hangar for 10 years so I am familier with the innards. I have also visited Tarbes a few times.

But, what are “we” saying? Because everybody in this market has millions, price doesn’t matter, backup does, so any newcomer has to fail. This may be true, and obviously Socata hope so, and it probably is true in Europe which cannot be supported from the US by a small US company.

Epic will do better in the US. It is a country which has far less “prejudice” than one finds around Europe.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Most TP owners will just use a company which performs the whole MM schedule regardless of need.

Why would the MM schedule not be needed?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Revenue generation for dealers. For example removing autopilot servos annually. I’ve seen it. The mechanics just rolled their eyes… waste of their time. The basic (smallest) service invoice was 5-10k.

A lot of “European maintenance elitism”. The TB20 MM is full of it. Life limited stainless steel fuel filter, perfectly visually inspectable, best part of £1000 now…

This is GA, not the space shuttle.

Anyway, this is digressing, because AFAICT nobody posting here knows about the Epic

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
84 Posts
Sign in to add your message