Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is ownership worth it?

The only way to deal with it, after a fashion, is to put yourself on each waiting list and wait out your turn.

In my experience many new hangar tenants skip the line, or more to the point are never on it. Who you know, your reputation and who wants you around gets you hangar space.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 15 Mar 20:44

Silvaire wrote:

In my experience many new hangar tenants skip the line, or more to the point are never on it. Who you know, your reputation and who wants you around gets you hangar space.

I would say, that this is a correct statement! Well spotted! And hey, why wouldn´t you do the same if you were the hangar owner eh?
You want people/owners that pay the rent and why not additionally somebody likeable, somebody that adds value to the “space” – which can be a variety of attributes. Other people/owners are to some degree attracted by the “other” pilots hanging around the hangar for chit chat and advise. Most of the pilots that I meet at my hangar space are of different background, both professionally and as individuals. I don´t want clown pilots or dislikable individual around “my” hangar – they don´t add value to the “hobby”.

Last Edited by Yeager at 15 Mar 21:01
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Typical waiting time for hangar space in my area is around 1.5 to 3 years. Only owners get on the list. So, yes, protective covers is a good investment, I also have them.

Germany

To get away from hangars and back to the broader topic of this thread. The engine on the club’s DA40D is just reaching it’s TBR and the decision we have had to make is whether to go for the Continental 135 or change to the Continental 155.
We have decided to go to the 155 because although it costs more than the 135 the latter requires certain ancilliaries which are not included in the price whereas the quote for the 155 includes them. This makes the 155 not much more than the 135.
(I hope this makes sense to you all)
So we have decided to pay the little extra and go for the Continental155 at a cost of nearly €59,000. The hours before TBR on the new engine is 2100 making for an hourly rate of about €29 per hour.
Our hangar spaces add about €18 per hour based on 100hrs p.a.
So hangar space here is not the most expensive part of ownership.🙂

France

hazek wrote:

You know there’s all this talk about GA being on the ropes and dying in Europe but really I’m starting to find that it’s the current stake holders, from old geezer that only let their friends in their hangars to fields that would prefer to rake in millions by operating CAT only to regulators who’d like to write a million rules and wouldn’t mind if all of the training is done in the sim and only CAT flying for real.

As said before, pilots are there own worst enemies I guess the ultimate is your own airport with your own hangar and 3-4 aircraft Not very realistic for most of us.

As of today (emphasizing today, it may change tomorrow ) , my experience about ownership tells me:

• EASA certified aircraft – no way. A waste of time and money. It’s only practical for renting or as (larger) group ownership. Even as group ownership I don’t see the point unless it’s a real hot dog Cirrus or aerobatic or some cool big-ass float plane or something. And helicopter of course.
  • An old-timer (Annex I, but ICAO and/or military) – Perhaps, but it’s a lot of fiddling and lots of time to source parts. Probably more of a hobby in it’s own right.
  • Experimental/homebuilt – Yes, practical and good performance (good = the best you can hope to get in most circumstances).
  • UL – Definitely YES. A fraction of the running cost. A fraction of the bureaucracy. You are the sole responsible for maintenance. 600 kg makes it practical for 2 + luggage. March 20 the Norwegian CAA finally get their new regs out. 600 kg, on-top VFR-N. IMO a person has to be braindead even contemplating owning a EASA-reg aircraft (unless having a disposable €1M+ and don’t bother using it on an aircraft).
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving, that would be exactly my line of thinking were I in the market for a two seater. I need 4 seats plus luggage period. Am I braindead for looking at certified planes?

EDQH, Germany

@Silvaire agreed regards waiting lists. I didn’t write it in my last post as it seemed a bit facetious, but IME a hangarage waiting list tends to not actually exist. Or if it does, it gets ignored in lieu of friends of the airfield owner.

United Kingdom

@Clipperstorch, get a four seater on N-register to minimize your maintenance brain damage.

Plane ownership and flying are synonymous to me, it would take a very special situation for me to continue flying if I didn’t own the plane. Half the fun is the ownership and relationships with other owners and maintainers. In the absence of a plane I’d have more fun owning and traveling with motorcycles and classic cars, my other hobby.

There may be some exceptions if the hangar is government owned or some internal policy applies to the use of a waiting list, but otherwise the list is for the convenience of the hangar owner/manager. You won’t get a hangar space quickly by putting your name on a list and waiting, personal involvement and persistence are required. Any maybe a little charm and/or a little money. Like life in general

Last Edited by Silvaire at 16 Mar 15:03

Silvaire wrote:

@Clipperstorch, get a four seater on N-register to minimize your maintenance brain damage.

Silvaire, not sure that now it’s the right advice for a person in Europe!
Licensing hurdles are increasing more and more.
You can’t even fly it Europe IFR without first going the the US to pass the exams.

EGTR

Most would say 1hr is too long to be workable long-term. I am not sure I know of any exception.

My base airport is one hour drive from my home and it works for me for last 15 years.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message