Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

USA seller’s market: are we reaching Peak Cherokee

Admittedly G-BNZZ has enough in the panel to look like a council house with a £50k gold plated bathroom

Newly OHd engine but airframe has 8k hrs!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

We have a 1000hr Cessna 172M, it must be one of the lowest time ones around. The plan is to update it completely engine/baffles/prop/paint/interior etc etc. I think the time might be now to crack into it!

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Peter wrote:

Newly OHd engine but airframe has 8k hrs!

Well, it had the AD’s done on the wing bolts e.t.c. so that would not worry me. It is a very nice example and it is a plane for someone like Snoopy who went for the older brother of this one and who does not want any hassles like engine overhaul and avionic upgrades any time soon. It looks like a really nice easy first plane for someone and as we discussed earlier, a Warrior or generally a PA28-140 to 160 can really do a lot of flying for someone who does not have the need for speed as badly as you and I have.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

My humble Worrier with only 3500 hours, also all SBs and ADs, fresh propeller and three years on engine, was acquired for a very small fraction of that asking price. I will have to raise the hull value I guess, especially after an upcoming panel upgrade.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

@Johnh there is a TR182 in OK condition on BT for $209k

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Well, it had the AD’s done on the wing bolts e.t.c. so that would not worry me. It is a very nice example and it is a plane for someone like Snoopy who went for the older brother of this one and who does not want any hassles like engine overhaul and avionic upgrades any time soon. It looks like a really nice easy first plane for someone and as we discussed earlier, a Warrior or generally a PA28-140 to 160 can really do a lot of flying for someone who does not have the need for speed as badly as you and I have.

That’s a good looking plane! The price needs getting used to, but I don’t mind that ;)

planecheck_G_BNZZ_51487_pdf

I’d like to know who did the paint and interior!

always learning
LO__, Austria

The thing is that for 130k you could get something “less perfect” but massively more capable.

However, advertised prices have always been marked up some 20-30% – because the buyers then knock the seller down. The dealers have openly argued against realistic pricing on the grounds that if they did that, the whole market would drop 20-30%.

Probably the difference today is that there is a lot of money sloshing around so there is a scramble to buy anything. I see it in electronic components, where people have lost all sense of reality, and there will be a bloodbath, probably starting later in 2021.

8k hrs… that will include a large number of extremely heavy landings. Did they do an NDT of the whole spar, or just AD compliance?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I see it in electronic components

Try buying a graphics card right now: something like an RTX 3070 (with an RRP of £600) is being sold by the scalpers for £1500+. Not touching that with a barge pole. Nor would I touch a Cherokee with a barge pole for that price (133k or so), however nice the avionics.

Andreas IOM

Peter wrote:

The thing is that for 130k you could get something “less perfect” but massively more capable.

LOL, have we not had this discussion many times before? Why buy a new plane? Why spend almost a million on a new SEP when that could buy you a lovely cabin twin and keep it going for several years?

I recall the arguments were : Because people want something nice, something reliable and care free. And that has it’s price.

Myself I’ve always been the proponent of buying best bang for buck. But not everyone is. Mind if more people were like me, we’d have neither new airplanes nor new cars.

alioth wrote:

Try buying a graphics card right now: something like an RTX 3070 (with an RRP of £600) is being sold by the scalpers for £1500+. Not touching that with a barge pole.

I recall before last xmas there was a black market for some sort of play console where asking prices went up to the price of a small car (RRP of £ 500 I think?). That is market economy at work, combined with greed and impatience.

Sign in to add your message