Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SEPs in service with european Armed Forces

The Swedish Air Force abanoned single engine trainers long ago. All basic training is done on the Saab 105 (Sk60) twin jet.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

When did ever the military cared about saving money on their running costs?

Since “We The People” has the right to question / oppose every governmental decision by referendum (even in military budget & procurement matters)…. and since the Cold War related threats subsided We The People is a lot more inclined to exercise that prerogative.

T28
Switzerland

Thanks for your answers.

Amazing to start on a jet. I read Sweden is buying PC21s for the future. It sells like hot cakes.
The FAF is replacing the Alphajets by the PC21 and it supposedly brings the cost of pilot training so down we don’t know how to spend the budget now (a bit kidding here). Seems rational if it buys some more Rafale hours.

Only Greece is reasonable it seems What is the next step after the 80hp Tecnam ? I remember from my only time in Greece seeing (and hearing!) an F4 making a low pass over Santorini. The whole mountain was shaking !

Antonio, this Chilean plane looks like the TB30 Epsilon that Ibra refers to. These are retired now (and fill Silvaire hangar buddies ).

What is the plan for Belgium, when the SF260 will retire ?

It seems the smaller forces get rid of the piston step and go straight to turbines. The larger forces seem to keep it.

LFOU, France

Jujupilote wrote:

this Chilean plane looks like the TB30 Epsilon that Ibra refers to

The PA28R-300 is a development of the PA28R-200 (Piper Arrow) , just like the TB30 is a development of the TB20 (Trinidad)…

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Airborne_Again wrote:

The Swedish Air Force abanoned single engine trainers long ago. All basic training is done on the Saab 105 (Sk60) twin jet

So they start the initial Cadet screening on jets?

I had the impression people who join initial have no clue where they will end up: fighers, helicopters, transportation
People who fly AgustaWestlands or Hercules in Swedish Air Forces have all some Saab jet time?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Jujupilote wrote:

Amazing to start on a jet. I read Sweden is buying PC21s for the future. It sells like hot cakes.

I knew the SAF is buying a new trainer, but I didn’t know it was going to be the PC21. I’m sure the old Saab 105s are expensive to operate, being a design from the early 1960s.

Ibra wrote:

So they start the initial Cadet screening on jets?

Yes. Previously they started on the Bulldog (Sk 61) but that model was decommissioned some 20 years ago. As Jujupilote points out, they are buying a new SET trainer – possibly the Pilatus PC-21.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 05 Feb 14:44

Ibra wrote:

I had the impression people who join initial have no clue where they will end up: fighers, helicopters, transportation

I don’t know how the British handle it, but in Germany, if you are to fly Helicopters, you’re not getting fixed wing training first, but start directly in Bückeburg. We visited the place some years ago and got a tour. As I recall, the Bundeswehr is training all Swedish helicopter pilots in Bückeburg.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Airborne_Again wrote:

Previously they started on the Bulldog (Sk 61)

Those Swedish Sk 61s are desired by some in the US market because although they were not equipped for continuous inverted flight, they were accordingly not flown so hard and also their hours in service are less that the UK examples.

@Jujupilote, local Epsilon number one has apparently been sold pending pickup by the buyer, and Epsilon number two is inbound. This one is will be grey instead of white and is supposed to stay around longer. The first one was only bought due to lack of patience with waiting for the second one Meanwhile another white one one has shown up on the field, had an avionics upgrade and donated its original French avionics for use as spares. It’s fun watching others spend their money, have fun and sometimes make a little in the fixing and trading.

There is one particular very original ex Italian Air Force Marchetti 260 that I’d like to own. It belonged to a guy I knew and I flew in it then. It sold last year, but it will be for sale again… planes almost always are if you live long enough! Maybe by that time I will have saved enough cash.

Thank you taxpayers of Europe for sending such nice toys this way.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 05 Feb 15:49

Not sure if Israel is “Europe” (well, they are in the Eurovision song contest ) but they operated TB20s for many years and then switched to Beech Bonanzas.

Not sure if any of these were used for pilot training; more for staff transport and such like.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message