Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PA34 vs BE58 vs C310 - Turbo vs. NA Twin in Europe?!

@bookworm and @alan_south know about Twin Coms. They had the VGs installed.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

@TB_flyer am not sure how you establish this number? Even well equipped they typically boast around 600 kg useful load

I think the tip tanks also add to the MAUW limit

feel free to contact the seller…

Also look at thoses ones:
https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Multi+Engine+Piston&make=PIPER&model=TWIN+COMANCHE&listing_id=2380310&s-type=aircraft
https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Multi+Engine+Piston&make=PIPER&model=TWIN+COMANCHE&listing_id=2380535&s-type=aircraft

—> ~ 500 kg useful load, but without weather radar, no turbos, no tips… – add those weights and you will end up at 450 kg or so…
and remember that those one are A models, the advertised one is a B model, which weighs much more…

You probably find Twincos with ~ 530 kg useful load, but then without boots, radar and all the additional equipment of the advertised one

The tip tanks give you a MAUW of 3725lbs, and a typical B comes in at 2450lbs empty. I find it extraordinary that you are suggesting this example has an empty weight of 2700lbs plus!

My preference is fixed gear single engine, so would not plan to contact the seller but I do know one of the owners in a share of this example, so will see if he has the correct data.

Have flown the A and B type – very nice comfortable aircraft, just respect the Vsse when practising asymmetric.

Last Edited by RobertL18C at 06 Jun 07:43
Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Is the weight figure you have been given with full tanks? The normal useful load on a Twinkie is between 1300lbs and 1390lbs. The PA39 has slightly (about 60lbs) less useful load than the PA30. But range is good and most engines reach their TBO and well beyond if well maintained and zero timing the engines costs about € 45000 to € 50000 euros for both.

France

Payload is load available after fuel and empty mass

Useful load is max available mass less empty mass

Given block planning of 16 gph and useful load of 1400 lbs on a B with tip tanks, payload on a 2 1/2 hour VFR trip is over 1000 lbs. Puts Seneca V to shame.

gallois wrote:

Is the weight figure you have been given with full tanks? The normal useful load on a Twinkie is between 1300lbs and 1390lbs.

look at the examples that I linked above – useful loads of 1121 and 1159 lbs… I’m not making up fairy tales!

RobertL18C wrote:

I find it extraordinary that you are suggesting this example has an empty weight of 2700lbs plus!

RobertL18C wrote:

I do know one of the owners in a share of this example, so will see if he has the correct data.

yes, please do this… – you will be surprised…

As I said, I am not spreading untruths here and I will not make any further public statements.

@TB_flyer am not suggesting you are spreading untruths, but your links are for the A version, while the subject aircraft is a B with tip tanks. This adds 125 lbs to the MAUM, around 75 lbs more useful load.

Those useful loads look low as the A typically boasts 1250 lbs useful load. with an empty mass of 2300 lbs to the B of 2450 lbs.

Fond memories of taking an A into the Okanagan valley at night IFR on an NDB approach. The A boasted surplus WW2 style gyros, coffee grinder ADF. Sweet flying aircraft. The approach had a high intermediate MDA, you then counted mountain obstruction lights before commencing the approach in earnest. Respect to the CP crews flying 727 into there in winter conditions or summer thunderstorms.

I have to say that notwithstanding my complete lack of multiengine flying experience, the Twin Comanche looks very interesting. The O-320 engine, even two of them simultaneously, is a simple thing and from the POV of cooling (e.g. when turbo’d and operating at altitude) small cylinders are better than large cylinders. Two O-320s is like having an eight cylinder 320 HP engine instead of one six cylinder engine with bigger cylinders.

Magazine flight test of the aircraft for sale on planecheck here.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 06 Jun 17:02

@Silvaire like a lot of vintage classics you need an engineer experienced on type. The landing gear system with bungees is strong but needs knowledgeable service. The airframe is also more complex than the Cherokee/Seneca family, again strong but needs good knowledge of the type.

The problem is that experienced engineers with knowledge of the type are becoming fewer.

@Silvaire,

. The O-320 engine,

The engines are IO360, injected, not the same O360 like on the Piper Warrior, just to be sure. The best variant of those have Rajay Turbos attached.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message