Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft affordability survey

TBH I expected more than 129, I expected at least 200-300 people to respond. However, the results are valuable and I believe you’ll be able to draw some conclusions and complete your research. On positive side, I would stress 38% or IR holders in context of 4.7% ATPL and 11.6% of CPL.

@Dimme, maybe you should allow little bit more time for response because some people (especially those professionally flying GA) are not H24 at euroga.org like some of us

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Yes; I will leave it promoted on the home page for a while longer. 130 people is roughly the number of active posters within the past few days. Or we could do a mailing – normally these go to everybody who has logged in within the past 12 months and it is about 1500 people. Let me kick that off tonight.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Interesting that ‘only’ 38% of us here hold an IR. To read the forum, you would think that was 90%!

10% are Ultralight pilots, but we have almost no ultralight content.

So the ‘average’ EuroGA reader holds a PPL, flies around 50 hours per year, doesn’t not own their own business and flies for fun.
Almost exactly half of us rent an aircraft to get into the sky, with the other half having their own.

Not quite what I would have expected from reading the forum.

Last Edited by dublinpilot at 06 Nov 18:21
EIWT Weston, Ireland

That’s just a correlation between people who hit the keyboard regularly and who have an IR.

And the internet is full of UL forums, in many languages.

50hrs/year is probably about 2x the European PPL average.

The survey shows the audience is there and is very varied.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I just tried to complete the survey but was dropped out of it after one page. I think because I ticked both OWN and RENT because I have a share and, this year especially because some dishonest +@£$% in the group did an anonymous prop’ strike, also have rented both from a club and from a local sole owner. Perhaps I am so atypical my data would be confusing for the survey? Just wondered.

strip near EGGW

As I’m in the process of buying (or rather watching the market and trying to buy) an aircraft as a shared ownership, I was missing that option with the question whether you own or rent a plane. I think there might be more people who are seriously considering to own an airplane (or a part thereof) but who are not there yet. For those people further questions of affordability might very well apply.

EDRT, ELLX, Luxembourg

Joe-fbs wrote:

I ticked both OWN and RENT

I think that this is valid option. Maybe the process failed for some other reason.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

@ Emir : I saw that option but it isn’t correct for people who do not yet own an airplane but are planning to.

EDRT, ELLX, Luxembourg

Joe-fbs wrote:

I just tried to complete the survey but was dropped out of it after one page. I think because I ticked both OWN and RENT because I have a share and, this year especially because some dishonest +@£$% in the group did an anonymous prop’ strike, also have rented both from a club and from a local sole owner. Perhaps I am so atypical my data would be confusing for the survey? Just wondered.

You have the option to change your answers after the submission of the form:

ESME, ESMS

gildnn wrote:

I think there might be more people who are seriously considering to own an airplane (or a part thereof) but who are not there yet.

Aren’t we all?

ESME, ESMS
Sign in to add your message