Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft affordability survey

When owning a share of an aircraft, what is the best way to indicate that and still give meaningful data?

huv
EKRK, Denmark

It’s much more complex than that.

When I was 21, I had accumulated enough money to retire and never have to work for money again. Only that this retirement would have had to be somewhere in Central Africa or Siberia as my net worth was < 50k€.

I could also move my family and myself to a 60m2 apartment and rent out the family house. The profit out of that could be extra disposable income which makes me more potent as a pilot.

I think your model of what “disposable money” is, is way too simplistic.

Last Edited by achimha at 31 Oct 10:01

Would a notion of “how much money do you have in your pocket for non-essential expenses (thus disposable income – (food + housing + eating + clothing))” be more appropriate ?

Note edit to correct typo

Last Edited by jfw at 31 Oct 10:13
jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

huv wrote:

When owning a share of an aircraft, what is the best way to indicate that and still give meaningful data?

Indicate the price you paid for the share and the fixed/running costs you pay for that share.

achimha wrote:

I think your model of what “disposable money” is, is way too simplistic.

Probably, but every person has his/hers own unique situation. A simple survey cannot cover them all. A simple question such as “how much money do you make?” I think is good enough. What you choose to make with your money is another question for a more complicated survey. Maybe we should discuss what an ultimate survey could be in the future and prepare it with contributions and ideas from all forum members?

jfw wrote:

Would a notion of “how much money do you have in your pocket for non-essential expenses (thus disposable income – (food + housing + eating + clothing))” be more appropriate ?

As I also replied to achimha, we can do this better in the future, but we cannot change the definition of the question mid-survey. Anyway, essential things don’t differ orders of magnitude between countries, not between countries where the people posting in this forum live at least.

ESME, ESMS

I used a very strict definition of "disposable income " for my survey answer, basically money I have left over after all other expenses gave been paid for, whether taxes, health insurance, food, rent or the various hard to define costs of having a wife and two children.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

On an actuarial basis, with saving rates close to zero, and 3% inflation in the UK, 99% of the population is not putting away nearly enough for old age pension provision – so disposable income for the average family is significantly overstated.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

MedEwok wrote:

I used a very strict definition of "disposable income " for my survey answer, basically money I have left over after all other expenses gave been paid for, whether taxes, health insurance, food, rent or the various hard to define costs of having a wife and two children.

That is not an income, that is a profit.

EDIT: I stand corrected, what you used is called discretionary income.

Last Edited by Dimme at 31 Oct 11:44
ESME, ESMS

achimha wrote:

You fear you’re going to be next after Todorić?

That’s my biggest fear.

Unfortunately, I can’t do anything close to what he has done because you I’m not politically connected. I doubt that such fraud can be done in any serious country – it was so obvious for years and years and years but his sponsors were too strong and well paid. Obviously, at one point in the time he felt so strong that he thought paying sponsors was not required any more…

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Filled it in as good as I could.

I agree, it is way too simplicistic. The definition of disposable income however is the least of the worries, there please guys read the definition he gave and let’s all do it that way. What is left after taxes, whatever they are.

Fixed costs for me include parking, insurance, minimal maintenance (50/100hr check which need to be done regardless of hours) and taxes imposed by the CAA and others you have to pay before the airplane flies one hour.

Running is fuel, additional maintenance, landing and pax fees and any charge which comes up with changing ours.

For a survey like that, it would have been useful to split the costs up so that it can be seen what the averages are for each item. Particularly parking and maintenance costs can be massively different in different countries.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message