Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

7700 is quite common!

That data is completely bogus, you see it all the time. They also assigned a much better looking aircraft shape to N113AC than you deserve!

@Peter – I think sometimes FR24 ‘assumes’ a departure point based on where your flight first appeared on its coverage. Had you actually been flying anywhere in the Dresden area? Or was that completely random?

I see this behaviour quite regularly. Mode-S traffic departing my local airfield is often tagged as a departure from the nearest major airport. It doesn’t happen all the time, but frequently enough that it doesn’t come as a surprise.

I can offer no explanation of the Gatwick destination.

EGTT, The London FIR

That was yesterday’s flight, Le Touquet to Shoreham. So nowhere near Dresden, though possibly near Gatwick.

I have been to Dresden, a couple of months ago.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

No idea then!
I suspect that FR24 works very hard to try to match up aircraft with departure points and destinations. For airliner traffic it us usually very successful, though not always 100% accurate. As we can see, for private a/c it is much less so.

EGTT, The London FIR

achimha wrote:

Don’t forget that modern ATC systems also indicate the position of a transmission through VHF triangulation.

That could explain why they’re so strict at my home base; it’s procedural class D, no radar, no triangulation, just old fashioned flight strips and bad-ass controllers.

25 Posts
Sign in to add your message