Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Recommended VFR Route - what is the point?

The airspace is Class G…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Perhaps the idea was to make communications clear and unambiguous?

< call sign > on the recommended route, Southbound from Saint Catherine’s, 10 NM to GARMI , VFR , altitude xyz < / call sign >

would be as clear as clear can be

Last Edited by at 17 May 16:19
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I don’t have any problems with recommended VFR routes in class Golf. They are mostly thought for non-GPS flyers, by linking teo prominent features together and help pilots stay well clear of protected or restricted airspace.
Live and let live….

What I have issues with is mandatory routes in class Golf, such as between France and Corsica and France and the CI.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 17 May 16:17
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Live and let liveā€¦.

I am not sure how a line running mostly over the sea helps with non GPS navigation…

Administrator

I was referring to recommended VFR routes in general.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I can see that in places where you have “3rd World ATC” with ELP of minus 5, with people navigating with a motorway atlas because the said country doesn’t publish usable VFR charts, a VFR route which keeps everybody at 1000ft AGL while running underneath some Class D tower zones, is a good idea.

Administrator

When your engine quits, and assuming your navigation has been accurate, they have a pretty good idea where to haul you out of the briny. Going to France this week on a longish channel crossing it did leaving me thinking how long it would take to recover the bodies from the water.

Squawking 7700 for at least a few seconds before hitting the water will light up every radar north of roughly Paris like an xmas tree and is going to be 1000% better, IMHO.

Administrator

Peter – good point but how many know to do that?

You have about 50 miles at 2,000 feet plus the correction for the height of the radar head so mid channel you should be ok with the coastal heads and the CIs but you would be wise to get out a squawk as soon as possible I guess if you want to attrach attention.

However, the wink was really because search and rescue may have a more accurate idea of your approximate route but on the longer crossing you will do well to survive anyway especially at this time of year.

I’d hope that any PPL will know about 7700…

Yes sure one needs a life raft, but that’s another story.

Administrator
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message