Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

7700 is quite common!

lenthamen wrote:

he audio recording is on youtube:

Glad I wasn’t on that one! The crew certainly seem flustered.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Glad I wasn’t on that one! The crew certainly seem flustered.

There was total chaos in the cabin as the PAX were instructed to brace for impact.
Some passengers are taking legal actions against the airline.
The Dutch Safety Board is now investigating this case.

lenthamen wrote:

The AF1184 experienced minor technical problems

Hah! That’s what the airline PR department says. The pilots clearly thought differently.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I am going to un-config this app to do alerts… Two more today. AF1833, going to Paris, descended in a huge hurry over the Alps and landed at Lyon St. Ex. The other was a twin TP from Knock, Ireland, to somewhere in the UK, went down to 4000ft and then quickly down to 2000ft way out over the Irish Sea before disappearing off FR24. Clearly these are no “minor” incidents and there is a lot of this stuff going on, just over Europe.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I suppose this was the Knock one.
Smoke in the cockpit

EIWT Weston, Ireland

This is the one. Note the altitude and position

!

However, this one from today (no idea who it is ) was most definitely not going from Dresden to Gatwick so I wonder where they got that info from?

Administrator

lenthamen wrote:

Not only your squawk code, but also anything you say on the radio will be recorded by hobbyists on the ground and put on Youtube.
Last saturday there was a Transavia flight which got in serious trouble in a heavy storm. They failed to land at Rotterdam EHRD, where not accepted at Eindhoven EHEH for a diversion, problems with the flaps, long holding times at Schiphol EHAM so ultimately they got low on fuel and had to make a landing with no option of a go around.
Interestingly the crew did not issue a Mayday.

The audio recording is on youtube:

This showed up quite prominently in the Dutch papers.

Don’t really want to comment too much on the way they handled the developing problems, but I was surprised about the very informal way of communicating right from the start (e.g. on the first approach to Rotterdam). Is it normal to mix Dutch and English on frequency? And are they not too strict on the readbacks? If I forget to readback my callsign with a clearance YBSU tower will ask me to repeat (unless you’re clearly struggling to cope with the conditions, but that has never happened to me of course, or at least not with someone recording the radio )

Is it normal to mix Dutch and English on frequency?

Not unusual. Basically, whenever an exchange gets longer and a little more complex than the standard phraseology foresees, it is allowed to change into the “local” language.

And are they not too strict on the readbacks? If I forget to readback my callsign with a clearance YBSU tower will ask me to repeat

Not really. If it is clear for the controller (due to previous exchanges and through recognizing the voice) that the right aircraft responded, then he will usually not insist on the repetition of the callsign.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 03 Aug 05:19
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Not really. If it is clear for the controller (due to previous exchanges and through recognizing the voice) that the right aircraft responded, then he will usually not insist on the repetition of the callsign.

Don’t forget that modern ATC systems also indicate the position of a transmission through VHF triangulation.

So how did FR24 think I was flying Dresden to Gatwick?

Administrator
Sign in to add your message